1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dictionary use

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mossop, Sep 7, 2012.

1. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

I have encountered Dinde est super car il fait chaud before now!

2. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Whilst doing a task today involving finding French synonyms, I pointed out to one girl that ennuyeux would not be found as she was looking in the English half of the dictionary. She said"How am I supposed to find it then if it keeps moving place?"

3. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

Just seen avoir faim in a list of foreign countries in a task given as cover to my year 8 group!

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

He he, that reminds me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cey35bBWXls

5. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Enjoyed that!

6. toadman

Agreed

7. How about....Je bidon travailler...... or.... je donne ma planche à ma mère...

Went to a CPD on Monday (so this is not my idea) but one school gives the pupils DICTIONARY VOUCHERS (about 7) and they can only look up 7 words which makes them more careful. I'm going to try.
    And to finish.... Jamais esprit!

8. Ha ha! Of course Je bidon travailler is a nice pair with Je poubelle malade. However please enlighten me with Je donne ma planche à ma mere and jamais esprit. I just don't get those.
    I pass these delights on to a French friend of mine who thinks that they are the funniest things out. She has been really ill lately and these howlers really snap her out of it. More, please, they are really aiding her recovery!

9. Some dictionary hungry kids made many mistakes today- my fave was Il a un pain noir- he has a black beard(bread)

10. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

jamais esprit - never mind. I can't work out the planche one either!

11. Of course. Thanks.
    Can anyone help?

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Would it be a board and they mean that they are giving their parents money as a contribution to the household?

13. vacherin

vacherin New commenter

I assumed that too.

14. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Just heard Je voudrais a livre une piece- I presume he wanted to book a room?

15. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Nice to hear of the remedial and therapeutic powers of the dictionary.

16. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

Could "planche" be plate?

17. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Je gauche ma maison today

18. toadman

In a similar vein I had quitter de la gare- for left of the station

19. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

Interesting when bad English causes strange French- je pouvais de fait ca, presumably I could of(sic) done it.

20. gregcolin

gregcolin New commenter

Glad to see my old favourite thread rekindled