1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dictionary and alphabetical order games year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jwhite1985, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

I am teaching my year 1 class Unit 3 of the new framework and have done several activities using dictionaries, word finds, letter finds etc and putting things into alphabetical order.
    I have a handful of children that are really struggling, these children are my less able learners and I was wondering if anyone has any fun activities or ideas I can do with them to start to understand.

Any ideas will be very helpful.

Thanks

2. Any help please

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Maybe you could make a little book with information related to them in it, so they have to put their names into the right order. No doubt without alphabetical ordering, they would be arguing over who would be on the first page etc. I think this would work quite well. Why not make a huge alphabet line for the carpet/corridor and get them to stand on it so they can see the order? You could do that with other things too - physically placing things on the line could work!

Also, if you like that idea and it works, they could then cut and stick onto an alphabet line - visuals work really well.

Hope this helps x

4. On the end of each 'Words and Pictures' (which I know doesn't fit with new phonics scheme) there is a bit where they put 3 pictures into alphabetical order. Constant repetition in a fun way helped my children last year!
    They have pockets for each alphabet letter and the three pictures with the word. sing the alphabet song and stop when you reach the letter, put the picture in the pocket. at the end take them out in alphabetical order.

5. Lovely ideas thank you.
    I have used the word and picture videos in another school but sadly this school does not have them.

6. BigFish111 has been banned five times.

He constantly spams these forums.

Do a search on his name - 56 posts tonight.

The resources he produces and sells are very poor and were previously available for free on the TES website until he got them taken down.

I will make them free for everyone as I am sick and tired of his spamming.

If you teach History then perhaps his overpriced resources might be helpful - otherwise, ignore them like the plague.

If you want his resources sent to you free I will send them - I got them from someone on the TES forums and am happy to pass them on.

email me - do NOT post here as spammers will spam you!

mikehenderson29@yahoo.com

I will mail the resources out as one mailing in seven days time.

7. porker

porker New commenter

8. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Ive added that link on this weeks planning-coxhoe is good for things too.