1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dictionaries allowed in English papers?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cinnamonsquare, Apr 8, 2011.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Page 29 - Preparing equipment for the tests - of the KS2 ARA refers to dictionaries. Remember that it has to be "normal classroom practice" - i.e. your pupils would use a dictionary in any other writing test/individual task. You must also be able to prove it if the moderators drop in for a visit. At my school we don't usually allow dictionaries in any of the papers, even where allowed, unless specified on an IEP, in which case we can prove that it is normal classroom practice.
    If you're still not sure, your LA's assessment team should be able to help you, or the helpline (number at the back of the ARA) are usually quite helpful too.
    Hope that's helpful.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What would be the point of having a dictionary in the writing paper? Can't be for spelling, that isn't marked as part of the test. Can't be for definition as no-one has the time to look up words for which they aren't sure of the meaning.

Wouldn't expect my year 6 to use them (nor want them) and I don't think there is room on the desks either.

Paper clips for tracing paper also sounds like a waste of time. The diagrams are small enough that a child can hold the paper with one hand, trace, flip the paper over, trace over and remove in no time at all. Adding paper clips would be a stupid pointless waste of time, imo.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

We only ever give small pieces of tracing paper - they wouldn't be big enough to clip to the edge of the page.
    I think in the very earliest days of SATs we put out dictionaries, but haven't in more recent years.

4. decj

decj New commenter

Thank you for you help cinnamonsquare - will look it up.

5. decj

decj New commenter

I am endebted to you cinnamonsquare as I hadn't been given a copy of the ARA thingy and so was wondering whether it had been produced this year. Didn't realise it was online.
    Ta lots.