1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dictation

Discussion in 'English' started by VG22, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi

I am trying to find a scheme/book etc that provides dictation for primary children with the focus on the HF words. I have found lots of different things on the web but it's tricky knowing which is good and which not.

Do the Fat Sam books cover the HF words?

Would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Ta

2. Hi

I am trying to find a scheme/book etc that provides dictation for primary children with the focus on the HF words. I have found lots of different things on the web but it's tricky knowing which is good and which not.

Do the Fat Sam books cover the HF words?

Would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Ta

3. manc

manc New commenter

I've looked in the dictionary and I just can't find any 'HF' words.

4. High Frequency - I assume.

5. manc

manc New commenter

Oh.

I do wish posters would not assume knowledge. I never have any.

6. manc

manc New commenter

Anyway - dictation of HF words.

Sounds great. Those lucky primary aged kids, eh?

7. Below are the 300 most frequent listed in Letters and Sounds, listed in descending order.

8. I've sorted them into ones with completely regular spellings and those with some irregular letters:
    been feet green keep need queen see sleep three tree trees - even here these - each eat please sea tea - be he he’s me she we we’re - people - key - could couldn’t would - book good look looked looking looks took - pulled put food room school soon too - do into to - two who - through home over clothes going - boat - cold old told - only don’t most oh -go no so - grow know snow window a am an and as at back bad began can cat dad gran grandad had has hat have magic man ran sat than that that’s - animals dragon (without doubled consonants as in ‘granny, stagger’) -baby came gave made make place take - again - great - away day may play say way - they
    car dark garden hard park - are - laughed - after asked can’t fast last plants -air - where there there’s - their - bear saw - all called small - water - thought -
    the bed best end get help her let let’s new next red them then went when yes - said - head - friends - every everyone were better eggs fell tell well - any many - ready very ever never (no doubled consonants) big children did didn’t different fish him his if in is it it’s its king little miss still thing things think this which will wind wish with - live lived river birds first girl - work inside like liked cried time while, I’ve - by fly my why -eyes - find I I’ll I’m - night right - across along box dog floppy fox from got hot long lots not of off on stop stopped top - gone - want wanted was what or for horse morning - before more - your door -
    but duck fun jumped just much mum must run sun under up us another - come (coming) mother other one some something - onceuse - you about around found house mouse our out round shouted - down town - how nowOddments: boy Mr Mrs giant suddenly

9. manc

manc New commenter

Shoot me, someone!