1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dictation

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by spsmith45, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Charlington

Charlington New commenter

I just want to add my 2p worth!

I have done several 'running dictations' with classes at school, and have found they either work brilliantly, or fall spectacularly apart!

One of the positive points is that it gets the pupils talking - they may not have the best accent, they may pronounce stuff wrong, but they are talking. It can get some of the more shy pupils talking.

The only bad thing I have found is that burning competitive streak in Y9 boys ... Taking out their mobile phone and trying to take a picture of the text to copy it down perfectly! That did destroy one of these activities :(

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Jobilee wrote:
    "Traditional dictation is competitive too. The pupils are competing
    as individuals instead of in teams. We've become afraid, in UK
    education, of putting individuals in a pecking order, which is how the
    game format has become ubiquitous in the classroom. It's OK for a team
    to come first though.
    The speaking is questionable if it isn't
    corrected before being foisted on the next pupil. If the scribe is
    listening to faulty language, there's a danger that they'll internalise
    the errors."
    The latter point is already acknowledged. Not sure how you link popularity of games with avoiding pecking orders, though. I would have thought games are used to motivate rather than to avoid putting children in rank order.
    My personal preference is for traditional forms of dictation, but paired dictation does have certain merits. It fits nicely with the current fashion, yes, fashion, for AfL and pupils supporting each other.