1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diary of a marmite virgin

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, May 4, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The title says it all really.
    For my entire life I have disliked marmite. Now there really is very little I won't eat. In fact, I am probably the single least fussy eater you can find.
    But marmite and peanut butter have always been resident on my (short) hit list of 'bleugh'.
    I've used both as ingredients, and fed both to my offspring who love them, but couldn't ever imagine eating the stuff.
    I have hated the stuff so much I was given a bar of marmite chocolate for Christmas once as a joke (yes, very funny mixing the devil's food with chocolate.............hahahahaha, NOT!)
    Until now.
    For some strange but inexplicable reason two days ago I developed a longing for marmite and yesterday bought a (small) jar on my way home.
    This morning I bravely unscrewed the jar, peered in at the pungent, inky brew, and spread the thinnest layer on my wholemeal toast.
    It was deeeelish!
    So, what has happened to me? I must add, at this point, I cannot imagine eating it on anything other than wholemeal toast but who knows? This could be the start of greater things.
    I am feeling very brave, because as foodstuffs go, marmite is quite an angry little spread!
    PS Am most certainly NOT pregnant. My prior dislike of marmite and current dislike of peanut butter is exceeded only by my dislike of anklebiters. Am also well past my sell-by date as far as my ovaries are concerned [​IMG]

2. BelleDuJour

The title says it all really.
    For my entire life I have disliked marmite. Now there really is very little I won't eat. In fact, I am probably the single least fussy eater you can find.
    But marmite and peanut butter have always been resident on my (short) hit list of 'bleugh'.
    I've used both as ingredients, and fed both to my offspring who love them, but couldn't ever imagine eating the stuff.
    I have hated the stuff so much I was given a bar of marmite chocolate for Christmas once as a joke (yes, very funny mixing the devil's food with chocolate.............hahahahaha, NOT!)
    Until now.
    For some strange but inexplicable reason two days ago I developed a longing for marmite and yesterday bought a (small) jar on my way home.
    This morning I bravely unscrewed the jar, peered in at the pungent, inky brew, and spread the thinnest layer on my wholemeal toast.
    It was deeeelish!
    So, what has happened to me? I must add, at this point, I cannot imagine eating it on anything other than wholemeal toast but who knows? This could be the start of greater things.
    I am feeling very brave, because as foodstuffs go, marmite is quite an angry little spread!
    PS Am most certainly NOT pregnant. My prior dislike of marmite and current dislike of peanut butter is exceeded only by my dislike of anklebiters. Am also well past my sell-by date as far as my ovaries are concerned [​IMG]

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Maybe you are short of B vitamins.

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Belle....spread your marmite onto buttered wholemeal toast....just as you have learned to love...cut the toast into soldiers and dunk into a nice runny eggy yolk! Scrummy!
    Then try a thin layer of Marmite under Cheese on Toast.

I am rather fond of marmite on toast - I love the strong flavour. ....although it still doesn't come close to my favourite toast-topping....Gentleman's Relish!

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I always think of Marmite as a very english thing. I have yet to meet a Scot who actually likes the stuff ... I know I don't!
    I'm sure of course there will now be a deluge of marmite loving Scots come on here [​IMG]

6. BelleDuJour

I am liking this idea [​IMG]

7. BelleDuJour

Doubt it as I eat a very healthy and balanced diet (glass of wine in each hand!) but if I was I'm sure not now!

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am not English! Not a drop of English blood in me! (Well as far as I know....if we go back a few generations on birthdad's side there may have been an incident carefully hidden away!......and technically I have had blood transfusions...so maybe English blood, but you know what I mean!)

9. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I take it all back!

10. BelleDuJour

Anyone got any idea as to why I suddenly crave the stuff, having actively left the room at the merest whiff of it for all my life?

11. Pregnancy?

12. I agree with nutella, I think you must need some of the nutrients contained within marmite. When I was pregnant I inexplicably started craving licorice, only to find out that it is a good source of iron. I think your body tells you what it needs.

13. BelleDuJour

I'm not entirely in agreement, speaking with my scientist's hat on.
    As I said, I eat a healthy and balanced diet and a balanced diet is not usually deficient. However, I shall see if any aspects of my health improve.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A tip from Mrs TG:
    When roasting a leg or shoulder of lamb, instead of salting it, spread a bit of marmite over it. Rather tricky to spread.
    And then when you make the gravy, add marmite to that too.
    Best wishes

15. anteater

anteater New commenter

Or salt.
    I use a teaspoon of the stuff in bolognese sauce and suchlike, but could never eat it neat as it is just too salty.

16. I'm not going to be one of them! [​IMG]

17. Marmite loving Scot here....I adore the stuff. Thick, hot buttered toast and a thin scraping - food of the gods.
    Or, possibly even better, cold flabby toast - what I call hotel toast - with a thick layer of unsalted butter and marmite. I'm craving some now!

18. BelleDuJour

Yum, yum!
    Hmmm...........not so sure about that one. I don't really do thick layers of butter, but I do like cold flabby toast.

19. I don't often do thick layers of butter either - but when I do, it's on cold flabby toast with marmite. Must check there's some in the cupboard!

20. BelleDuJour

Drool!