1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diane Abbott

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jan 18, 2019.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I missed the start of this episode but I do have to say I felt the audience was far too weighted to pro Brexiters!
    The reaction throughout to Diane Abbott was negative..... eg murmurings when her name was mentioned as to be next to speak.

It is well documented how much she has been targeted by some quarters..... some racism, some anti feminism, some anti Labour etc. In my mind.... the pressure on her leads her to bumble along....make mistakes... probably doubt her facts and figures ...we have all witnessed that. So what to do? To his credit Corbyn has remained loyal to her but one has to question whether she is cut out to be so high profile. I feel she should "fall on her sword" and take a more low profile within the party as she is always going to be fair game..... and I personally don't think she can handle it.... and if you can't stand the heat....

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes I watched it but only after reading that article do I detect the unpleasant smell of a burning martyr. Abbott seems to have a whole pack of race cards to play.

Admin Princess and Sir_Henry like this.
  4. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

She was skewered when she made comments that didn't make sense. I felt she was given the right opportunities and was held to account, as we're the other two MPs. I don't think there's a valid complaint here.

5. HelenREMfan

The audience was most certainly weighted to Brexiteers.

yasf, Alice K and Laphroig like this.
  6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I didn't see the programme but from what I've read I think part of the complaint refers to the warm up before the start.

I'm not a fan of Diane Abbot but she has been the target of some unwarranted and frankly appalling abuse, particularly online.

7. HelenREMfan

Fiona Bruce was also out of line by accusing Abbott/ contradicting her re "polls". Abbot was quite correct quoting polls where Tory & Labour were said to be tied..... in fact there are 3 where Labour are ahead.

8. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

I did watch it and it was rather uncomfortable viewing - not only were the audience mainly UKIP types but Fiona Bruce and Isobel Oakeshott would not let her get a word in... it also seemed that she was being held to account more than the actual government minister whose government had lost by a record 230 votes 2 days previous!!!

what really hacked me off was the refernence to the polling - Labour are 0.3% ahead on average and yet Fiona backed isobel over diane even though isobel is wrong (apart from 1 poll!) . i suggest Fiona and andrew neil look at the britain elects website/twitter each week!

silkywave, BetterNow, yasf and 7 others like this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, she's been treated horrendously for years. It is possible to disagree with her without all the rest of the rubbish

We all know it.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Here's a simple truth. Britain is still trying to get over the fact it once had an empire run by white protestant men, but doesn't now and is struggling to adjust.

Despite all the attempts at equality legislation, it's still more difficult for women to get employed on the same salary their male counterparts enjoy, for Catholics to be taken seriously and worse of all for people of colour to escape their legacy of being captives in slavery and treated as though they were livestock.

I was taught to be proud of my British heritage, but the more I learn about what it entailed, makes me wonder whether I should.

It isn't so much the plantation owners and their abuse of slave that depresses me, nor the middle class English vicars who owned slaves and demanded to be compensated for their loss when slavery was abolished. It's the petty scum of the earth, Little Englanders, who never had a useful bone in their body, but insist they are in some unaccountable way superior to the people their ancestors suppressed that does my head in.

I'd understand them better if they'd actually been out to Fuzzy-Wuzzyland to fight for the right for supremacy, but they didn't have to, and would more than likely have refused to, if the truth were told.

yasf, bombaysapphire, Alice K and 3 others like this.
  11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I think Diana Abbott should retire from politics. That is in no way a reflection on her intelligence or experience. It's that I think she needs to rest and be happy, away from the vicious cut-and-thrust of british parliamentary politics.

smoothnewt, peter12171 and towncryer like this.
  12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I think she has been extremely brave and resilient to continue despite the abuse she gets.

I have seen several reports that BBC staff made jokes with the audience at Abbott's expense before the programme began.

13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I feel sorry for Diane, whose career began long before social media was even a twinkle in mark Zuckerberg's eye. She receives half of all the online abuse dished out, and is subject to constant, unrelenting scrutiny, and mockery and derision every time she makes a mistake. Yes, I think she is not of the required calibre to be a Government Minister, especially not the rank of Home Secretary, but she deserves plaudits for her bravery and her unswerving loyalty. If the media and online trolls hounded Johnson, Gove, Zahawi, Sajid Javid, Theresa May to even a tenth of the extent they do Diane Abbott, they would have thrown the towel in long ago. I agree with HelenREM. I wish she would retire gracefully, and step down with head held high from her post, because she is an obstacle to Labour winning. But those folks online who contribute to the abuse, who make crude, misogynistic, racist remarks and jokes at her expense are the scum of the earth. These despicable people should be publicly identified and subjected to just a small dose of the treatment they dish out, just to see how much they like it.

14. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Because most of the population wish to leave.

15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The programme was aired from Derby, a heavily Leave voting city. If it was aired from Hackney the audience would be weighted to Remainers, and if it was aired from Glasgow weighted to Scottish Nationalists.

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

If that is true then it has to be investigated.

Alice K, ilovesooty and nomad like this.
  17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

given Dian Abbotts well documented objection to "blond haired blue eyed nurses" I have absolutely no idea why she is allowed to be an MP, why she is allowed to be part of any political party, or why any employer would keep her on at all.

She is a blatant racist.

If such a blatant racist did not provoke open hostility where ever they put in a public appearance, I would at that point have a serious issue with the way she is treated

18. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Hear hear!

lexus300 likes this.
  19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

she has nothing to hold her head up high about. She is a disgrace. She is internationally seen as a disgrace to British politics and shames us all.

20. xmal

xmal Established commenter

Abbott has been caught out time and time again with her racist views and yet she's still given a platform.