1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diagnostics

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by justfloating, May 1, 2012.

1. justfloating

justfloating New commenter

I'm trying to develop a quick but accurate indicator of pupil ability on entry in Y7. I thought of doing three quick tasks ( max 1 hour) to give me a general overview of ability on entry - Task 1 an observational drawing - Task 2 a creative exploration of an idea and Task 3 some kind of response to an art historical source.
    Two things - Does anyone else do something similar and hve any good practice to share ? And secondly a large proportion of our pupils are EAL students with very limited literacy skills making Task 3 very difficult - Any suggestions on a fair way to assess pupil responses to artworks that doesn't involve words ?
    Tricky I know !!
    Any help gratefully accepted,
    Cheers

2. justfloating

justfloating New commenter

I'm trying to develop a quick but accurate indicator of pupil ability on entry in Y7. I thought of doing three quick tasks ( max 1 hour) to give me a general overview of ability on entry - Task 1 an observational drawing - Task 2 a creative exploration of an idea and Task 3 some kind of response to an art historical source.
    Two things - Does anyone else do something similar and hve any good practice to share ? And secondly a large proportion of our pupils are EAL students with very limited literacy skills making Task 3 very difficult - Any suggestions on a fair way to assess pupil responses to artworks that doesn't involve words ?
    Tricky I know !!
    Any help gratefully accepted,
    Cheers