1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diagnostic Spelling Assessments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SchoolBoyError, Jun 29, 2016.

1. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

Afternoon all,

Generally, as a school, we perform very well in the Year 1 phonics - pass rate of 90%+ for the last 2 years. However, this isn't apparent when you look at the spelling in the books of the current year 2 or 3. They are taught phonics well but seem to have a problem encoding or applying these to their free writing.

Does anyone know of any diagnostic assessments that we could give the children that would perhaps pinpoint particular areas of weakness? We're scratching our heads at the moment.

Also, would anyone recommend a comprehensive whole school spelling scheme? With the interim frameworks making spelling an explicit requirement to meet ARE we're keen to get this right but honestly are struggling to see why, when phonics results are so good, spelling is so poor.

Thank you!

2. SchoolBoyError

Anyone? Anything?

3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

We use No Nonsense Spelling
    http://pages.raintreepublishers.co.uk/nnspelling
    We had the same problem and this moves to spelling rules in Year 2 to Year 6. We found that it is a good spine to build upon. The videos for training are good because they say exactly what we were talking about.

4. SchoolBoyError

Thanks TeaCup - do you find they're aligned with the new curriculum?

5. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Yes. Written by teachers using the new curriculum. Sorry I am not trying to sell it We like it.

6. rosaymia

rosaymia New commenter

Shakespeare and more spelling scheme.

7. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Thank you both. I'm on a course today And there is a representative from No Nonsense so I'll have a chat with them.

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I've used Single Word Spelling Test from GL Assessment as it has a diagnostic element aswell as giving a spelling age.