1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Sinkingship, Jan 29, 2012.

  1. Depends what you are trying to diagnose. Dyslexia, dyscalculia etc tends to be in house by WRAT testing etc. ADHD, ASD etc tends to be external agencies with the support of the school, all of these however tend to involve the SENCO in some way. Hope that helps.
  2. Would like to also point out as well that sometimes you may refer students with dyslexia on to other services if you feel it is necessary for example in severe cases and also if you suspect it is a symptom of other issues.
  3. Is there a list of assessments for different general conditions usuallu encountered in a mainstream schoolor someone could suggest otherwise to identify and diagnose please?
  4. Ruthie66

    Ruthie66 New commenter

    I would suggest you speak to someone in your LA's Educational psychology department, or if you are an academy you might need to pay for this.
  5. Depends where the demand is coming from. You can always go private (well parents can!) and that is sometimes the best and most efficient way of getting it done. A GP referral to CAMHS or to an Ed Psych can help. It depends on the purpose amd urgency of assessment..why do you ask?
  6. Jumping in as a specialist tutor qualified to diagnose dyslexia, I know you said "etc" but you certainly won't diagnose dyslexia just by using the WRAT - that just gives a measure of whether their single word reading and spelling is within the expected range for their age. I'm a bit sensitive as, working in FE, we often have students arrive saying they have been "diagnosed dyslexic" with no paperwork to confirm this other than possibly an access arrangements form stating they are eligible for a reader. That is certainly not dyslexia.

    Regarding the other SpLDs, I can use phrases such as "shows strong indicators of dyspraxia" but basically anything other than dyslexia is a medical diagnosis/Ed Psych/Occupational Psych.
  7. There are a large number of assessment resources; some can only be used by psychologists; others by qualified specialist tutors/teachers and some by ordinary teachers who just want to measure strengths and weaknesses. It isn't the specific assessment materials which diagnose the condition; it is whether the range of tests used indicate a specific condition e.g. poor phonological awareness + poor verbal memory + poor speed of processing tend to be core features of dyslexia. We joke at work that course tutors seem to think we assessors have got a universal blood test which can tell you exactly what the student has "got". If I suspect dyslexia, I'll use about 8-10 different tests; more if the student is aiming to go to uni (I'm in FE).
  8. Not all SENCOs are qualified to diagnose a specific difficulty such as dyslexia. The key word is diagnose. If you are applying for Access Arrangements or producing a diagnostic report to confirm that someone has dyslexia, you need to be qualified and will be on a list e.g. I'm a named assessor for my college, but I can take on private work or do assessments at other institutions if they contact me. If a student is going to uni, the diagnosis needs to be updated post-16yrs and I have to renew my practising certificate allowing me to do this every 3yrs.

Share This Page