1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diagnosis, is there any good news for me at all?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon3279, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hi, just had a diagnosis of severe depression and severe anxiety. The GP thinks that I've been in this state for a really long time but have ignored it. I think she's probably right. She also thinks that I've got some medical 'things' going on which are contributing to the way I've been so I've had an armful of blood taken and will get the results next week.
    I think the words 'severe' are scaring me a bit. I have no doubt that I'll get better one day, hopefully soon, but is there anyway I can speed up my recovery? We're waiting for the blood results to see if we'll go for the medicated route so I've been told to be very kind to myself, think more of myself and not everyone else (which I have a tendency to do) and do things that make me feel good. Anything else?
    Slightly desperate at this stage!

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You poor love. DO NOT try to speed your recovery: it will take as long as it takes. Try to pamper yourself, relax as much as possible, and don't think "Ooh, I'm having a good day, I can get lots done." because you may over-do it, and feel even worse for the next couple of days.
    Sorry, I don't know how to do links, where's that Bauble fellow when you need him...
    Google up Depend Dr Tim Cantopher document.
    It's about 6 pages explaining how depressive illnesses only strike down strong people. Take care of yourself, and do take the drugs. This isn't something that will go away without help. x

3. I found that setting a list of 3 things to do a day, ticking them off if I did them and ignoring it if I didn't helped. They could be as simple as load the dish washer, post letter, bath.
    Walking for an hour in the fresh air every odd day worked well. It gave me 'permission' to ignore time, a sense of achievement and I found I slept better.
    Make a point of eating healthy food. Sugar sent me a bit bonkers but I craved fat and had to work on that one.
    All the little things add up and help. I'm starting to think that the length of time it took me to get into this mess is the time it will take to get out of it.
    All the best Do be kind to yourself.

4. Thank you both for those tips, and the link. I've done my best to try and eat healthily but actually don't feel like eating at all. I've forced down a banana and some salad and goat's cheese today, it was actually really difficult to summon up the motivation but I knew I had to.
    I will definitely take on board the messages not to rush things. I'm afraid I know next to nothing about stress/anxiety other than what I feel so perhaps reading around the subject might help a bit.
    Thanks again.

5. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Yes, my lovely. Take it a day at a time. Or a minute at a time, if a day is too much.
    The hardest thing is that, when you are there, in the midst of it all, you cannot imagine ever coming out of it. But you will, I promise.
    Three years or more ago now, I was you. Now I am much better and really getting my life back. My doc recommended the Moodgym website, which I tried and found really helpful. You might like to have a look at it:
    http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

6. Thank you. I will spend some time looking at moodgym tomorrow, sounds interesting.
    You do sound very positive GL, and I'll definitely try and bear in mind that this isn't forever but a (fairly) temporary blip in my life. What you say about getting your life back has some real resonance with my situation. I need to think very hard about how to plan the rest of my life so that no-one can ever do this to me again, but I might wait until I'm a bit better before making rash decisions!
    Much appreciated and the help and advice very welcome.

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I'm currently reading Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker - all about the logic of evolution. He points out how seemingly miraculous and impossible "designs" emerge from a whole sequence of very simple small steps. Each step has no plan as such, just a "logic" that is relevant to then and there.......

8. Walking, listening to music and visiting museums and galeries help, in my experience. Eating stodge, drinking beer and letting off steam over the phone has just made me worse. Incidentally, I was put on statins for a while when I was sent for a blood test. I have also recently had a report run by a clinical psychologist, although that is riddled with error. In the absence of 'supervision' as counsellors understand it, I think that over stressed teachers are in desperate need of Psychotherapy or CBT. Spending every waking minute for years on end really wound up and extremely irritable is insufferable, obviously. I hope that you take comfort from knowing that you are not alone and that it is not your fault!!!

9. Take one step at a time - be it an hour at a time, a day at a time or a week at a time.
    It will get better, especially now you know what is wrong.
    I hope the medical tests are fine, but they may show up some reason why you are feeling as low as you do.
    From someone who knows where you are at right now, take care xx

10. I was diagnosed with quite severe depression 5 years ago at the age of 22, and had probably suffered for a long time before that. My recovery has been quite long as I did not realise how I could get better, and I think I just made myself worse. Do you have a hobby that you really enjoy? I didn't but have recently got into card making and have found it an excellent way to relieve stress. When I am feeling anxious I like colouring in - it just seems to focus my mind, without doing anything taxing. Hobbycraft sells colouring books for adults but I much prefer my Disney one! I also have a tangle toy (from Hawkin's Bazaar) - it is nice to have something to fiddle with when I am again feeling anxious. Try and do one thing every day that you enjoy. Take care x

11. Sorry to hear you're having such an awful time Poeme. I don't have any advice that hasn't been given already but just wanted to wish you well. Take care x

12. Thank you.
    I'm definitely discovering that long and medium term planning is NOT a good idea at the moment. So, I've made plans for today up until 3pm and no further and feel a bit more in control.
    What bugs me so much about it is that, without going into identifiable details, I have led a more than busy life, had more than my fair share of traumas/family difficulties/'stuff' and have never got to this point before. All it took to get me here is a situation that should have been managed very differently, i.e. correctly, than it has been. I suppose the situation is truly my breaking point. I can't really get my poorly functioning brain around the fact that at 11am one day I was as I usually am and at 11.15 I was literally a sobbing, broken mess incapable of speaking, moving or anything. It is literally as though I shattered into little bits. Bit weird.
    Thanks for the caring wishes - they mean a lot.

13. It's been a while since I was diagnosed and had a follow-up visit to the doctor today. Apparently, I have made little or no progress towards being better. The doctor hummed and hawwed a bit about putting my dose of ADs up and putting me onto beta blockers too but said that, on balance, she'd leave me on the dose I'm on now and review everything at our next meeting.
    So, that's a bit rubbish really! I so, so want to be back to normal and really hate being like this. I think I've made a bit of progress because my house is beautifully clean and tidy and I've started doing a few bits and bobs just for me but I suppose the doctor knows best.
    How long do you reckon it'll take me to start feeling like I used to (when things were good)?
    As for the work situation... no better, and possibly even worse, but the Union and I are working together to address the (many) issues.

14. joli2

joli2 New commenter

There's no quick fix, but it's a good sign if you feel you've made some progress, however small. It took a long time to get to your lowest point (all those years of coping) and it'll take a while to get back to normal. I think I took about a year and that was with ADs and counselling. That might sound long and off-putting, but the main thing is if you can have some good moments, then sometimes a good day and then a few good days and gradually you'll feel beter. Honest.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm sorry you are so low, poeme, and I hope that you will soon start feeling better.

16. Thanks for that Joli, it's useful to know other people's experiences so I can guage if I'm in the 'normal' bracket (or not). I'm not especially worried about the timescale but I am worried about never getting well again.
    Nutella, thanks for your kind words. I hope I start feel better soon too[​IMG]

17. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You're doing well, chick, but there's a long way to go. I don't want to knock you down, but if you were a long time falling ill, (like me) a long time trying to work through it without help, (like me) then, like me, it will take more than a few weeks to get better.
    There is a lot of support here. Keep posting, but take things slowly, You need re-building.

18. The fact is, Torey, that I haven't had any continuity with my medical case so far. I've had to explain the whole sorry, sad tale to 4 GPs so far! The second GP I saw did suggest some talking therapy but none of the others have. I did ask the GP I saw yesterday if there was anything I could do, alongside the meds, to help myself or get extra help but she just said that it was a bit of a waiting game at this point.
    Yes, I think I do recognise the progress and remind myself of it regularly but it is only a little progress and my posts here really don't reflect the hideous state I'm in. I thank the stars every day that I've got children to give me a reason to keep going.
    Thanks for flagging up the talking therapy - I'll prompt the GP when I see her next (and it should be the same one this time!).

19. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I ended up finding and paying for my own counselling, to speed up the process as I was aware that the underlying issues meant I'd never get better on pills alone. I realise this might not be financially possible for you, but I swear it saved my life.

20. Joli, I've just been speaking to my Mum about looking around for some private counselling. I think I will wait a few days or so because I feel a bit knocked back and despondant after yesterday's news that I hadn't improved. I think that counselling might help me along the way although what really needs to happen is the situation at work to be changed. I'm not holding my breath on that one though!