1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

diagnosed with post natal depression

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon261, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi
    I've just been diagnosed with post natal depression. My health visitor has said that it could be because of lack of sleep and we've just started with controlled crying to try and get her to sleep through.
    I was made redundant from my post working for the LA when I was pregnant and want to look for a teaching job for Sept. I'm waiting to hear if i've been successful in getting a place on a return to teaching course and I've got a school who are willing to help me back in.
    I'm just concerned at how this will affect me and my family. I don't want to make it worse by getting back into teaching but we can't afford for me not to work and it's the only thing i've ever wanted to do.
    What should I do?

2. Hi
    I've just been diagnosed with post natal depression. My health visitor has said that it could be because of lack of sleep and we've just started with controlled crying to try and get her to sleep through.
    I was made redundant from my post working for the LA when I was pregnant and want to look for a teaching job for Sept. I'm waiting to hear if i've been successful in getting a place on a return to teaching course and I've got a school who are willing to help me back in.
    I'm just concerned at how this will affect me and my family. I don't want to make it worse by getting back into teaching but we can't afford for me not to work and it's the only thing i've ever wanted to do.
    What should I do?

3. Hello Gilbert PM me if you like.It's a horrible thing PND.

4. PND is a horrible cold place to be. However once diagnosed and treated correctly it become very managable. Just a word of warning the pills might make you feel sick to start with. PM me anytime you need support. I have been suffering with this is last year and I am hoping to be coming off pills soon, but it has been a rollercoaster of emotion.

5. Hi. Feel free to pm me too, if that would help. I had postnatal depression and anxiety, which I stupidly let go undiagnosed by the GP as I was too <strike>proud</strike> daft to consider antidepressants.
    Please don't feel obliged to pm, especially if you already have a good support network, but the offer is there anyway.
    All the best x

6. 1. Would you refuse medication for any other condition where it could/would make you well. ADs are a valid treatment for depression of any kind or cause. The stigma attatched to any MH issue is only there because we put it there.
    2. Tell your husband when he's carried a pregnancy and given birth. Had/has raging hormones flying around he can comment but untill then. SHUT UP, he's not helping.
    3. Health visitor is wrong, sleep deprivation does not cause PND chemical imbalance due to rampant hormones does. Of course having sleepless nights does not help anyone whose already feeling **** but this is not the cause and getting baby to sleep through will not be a cure.
    You really need to chat with your GP there are options to explore and the proffessional support you really need that could put you in just the place you need to be to go and get that job.
    Good luck, take good care of yourself.
    There are sites that offer advice and support, google.

7. Totally agree. I was on them for little while to get me back up and running and then came off them when I felt the time was right and I could cope. The best thing now is that I realise when i am having down days, depressing moods and control it by doing things which make me happy or happier anyway! I still find this quite hard but I have learnt to cope and after nearly 10 years haven't needed to use AD again. Please don't feel ashamed or embarrassed to take them, they are there to prop you up and get you back on your feet
    x

8. Whilst I have not had PND (never had a baby) I do suffer from clinical depression. When I was first diagnosed 4 years ago I refused to take the medication, I thought things would just get better. They didn't, and in fact did the opposite. I was eventually persuaded to take the tablets and things got much better. In the last 4 years I have been on and off the tablets - unfortunately every time I have felt well enough to stop taking them something has happened which has triggered off the depression again. I recently went back on them - I didn't feel depressed as such but could recognise that the symptoms were returning. Being on tablets now doesn't bother me at all - I just think of it that if I had a long term physical illness I would take medication, this is no different.

9. I hope you all don't mind me upping this thread. I have recently been diagnosed with PND and lost natal anxiety. I am really struggling. My partner is not very supportive. He thinks I'm just being moody and can't understand why I don't just snap out of it. Our relationship is hanging by a thread at the moment. My baby is 4 months old and means everything to me. I'm getting worried about returning to work. I don't think I could manage in my current state of mind. However, I can not afford to repay the mat pay. I'm finding it hard to weigh up my options. Everyday decisions are hard so I can't fathom getting my head around making a choice about my job. I want to do the best thing for my baby but I don't know what that is any more. I have ADs but have not started taking them yet. I am worried about breastfeeding whilst taking them even though the doctor said they are 'safe'. Gosh, what a ramble....

10. Oops, I've just noticed this is from 2011 not 2012.

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

You can start your own thread - that is quite OK.