1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diagnosed with dyslexia. Now what!!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by kazzmaniandevil, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Am slightly shocked after being diagnosed today with dyslexia. It kinda explains a few things but never thought of myself as having dyslexic problems. Really my main question for anyone is where do I go from here for the PGCE in September. I went initially because someone suggested that my problem with the QTS maths tests (which involves recalling information and listening to questions which I had HUGE difficulty with) might stem from dyslexic issues. How will this effect the test?? Will the test change? Any advice??

Kazz

2. Hi! I'm dyslexic and I completed a 4 year teaching degree with lots of support! I would ask your uni for help they will give you more time for the exams and possibly a lap top. I'm now in my second year of teaching and find it do easy to empathise with children who struggle :)

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

One of the best teachers I know, who now teaches in a prestigious international school, is dyslexic as hell. Your and You're mistakes all over the place. Needless to say he is driven to be even better, partly as a result of his dyslexia. Yes, it causes issues. But he succeeds because the most important part of being a teacher - what he is as a person - is impeccable.

4. hi Kazz,
    I was in a similar position during my undergraduate, I was diagnosed with moderate dyslexia in my final year. Once I knew why I got so frustrated things honestly got so much better and you will find it the same. Read carefully through their findings and begin to address the area's you are struggling with. For example I have short term memory issues which is a problem in my job, so I write things like numbers down as I know I won't remember them in 5 secs! I also have problems with structuring essays-so I allow time to read through them more than others etc. Once you know what the problem is it is SO much easier to sort it. Personally it actually gave me a bit of a kick up the bum (mixed with annoyance at my school) once I knew why had been so frustrated.
    In terms of exams depending on the findings of your diagnoisis it should say whether or not you should have extra time. I suddenly got 25% extra time and my marks jumped by approx 8 to 10%, which doesn't seem alot but is suddenly a 2:1 instead of a 2:2.
    I start teacher training in september and I'm not worried about the dyselxia, once you get used to it you'll see it won't change you being a good teacher! plus when the darling children say "i can't do it because im dyslexic" (something i hear alot when i teach sailing which is odd!) you can say "well i can" or similar witty replies!
    make a few copies of the report in case you loose it as they are pain to get again...
    hope this helps
    Taz

5. Thanks everyone,

Unfortunately I don't think it will make any difference to my final year marks but I'm not too worried about that I'm more worried about the qts tests! At least I have the summer to prepare!!

Kazz

6. You can get extra time in the tests, although that won't help much with the mental maths. I'm a dyslexic maths teacher and that was the part I was worried most about! Key things about dyslexia, being exasarbated by pressure, poor short term/working memory etc make that quite tricky regardless of maths ability.

One thing to remember is you do have a wipe clean board to make notes on. I found jotting down the key numbers on the first listen helped, and meant I could focus on what I was doing with them (I can't remember all the information AND manipulate it in one go, I need to jot things down).

You can also do lots of practice tests online. There are also lots of practice questions - if it's mostly the mental timed bit you're concerned about you could always get someone to read the questions and time you? Good luck!

7. I'm part way through my PGCE and was only diagnosed in October at the age of 26! My main worries were the spelling test on literacy (for obvious reasons) the mental oral questions on the numeracy due the fact that my auditory memory puts me in the 9th percentile! I completed all the practice tests and made use of my extra time.
    With the numeracy I made sure I wrote down the key facts of the question the first time I heard it and then attempted it after the second time.
    Passed all the test 1st time!

8. Thanks for the confidence boost guys. As you have all mentioned its the listening to the questions bit that I'm worried about but I do like the idea of practicing with someone reading the questions aloud. Do you get more time at the end of the whole test or more time for each question?