1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diagnosed with an Eating Disorder

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cupofteacher, Oct 26, 2015.

1. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I'm not really sure where to post so apologies if this is the wrong place.

I'm on maternity leave and I've just been diagnosed with an Eating Disorder. My care plan is likely to include a weekly psychotherapy session for about 6 months.

Am I entitled to attend these taking time off work? Or should I just refuse treatment?

In a school where bullying is rife, should I try and keep this quiet so I'm not discriminated against, or should I be open from the start?

Will OH become involved and will they say I'm not fit to teach?

I don't look like someone with an Eating Disorder and I'm worried my Head will not believe me. Should I ask for a doctor's letter?

Sorry for all the questions...I feel really stuck as I know I'll get treated differently if/when school find out.

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I'm on maternity leave.......

Am I entitled to attend these taking time off work?............

You're on maternity leave? Or will you return within the treatment timeframe?

Some would say you must be truthful. Unless your weekly session coincides with time back at work and takes a significant chunk of the day out or you get signed off for something, OH wouldn't get involved and they don't go telling schools that teachers are not fit to teach as such.

Others would say keep quiet. Good luck whatever you do!

3. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Thanks...sorry should've been clearer about maternity. I'm nearing the end of my maternity leave so my treatment plan will come into effect at a similar time to my return to work.

4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I sorry to hear of your condition and hope it will not impact you too much.

Of course, your should not decline the treatment, you need to get better.

I feel that you really need to ask your union for advice and possibly negotiate on your behalf.

I am sure that the school will be reasonable about your request for time off, it's not as if it is that excessive. If it is a whole day then it may be a case of negotiating a 0.8 part time. Would that be a possibility for you?

It may be the case that the school refers you to OH but this is not necessarily a problem the school has a duty of care towards you and a reasonable school will involve the OH as part of this.

I realise that many schools have become toxic environments but I think that your maternity status may give you some measure of protection.