1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Diabetes

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pastychucker, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Anyone out there been diagnosed with diabetes?
    Can you tell me your experiences of being diagnosed please?
    Did you notice symptoms yourself or was it through going to the docs for something else?
    Would a doctor think I'm completely cuckoo if I turn up at the surgery and say I think I have diabetes?
    and I am phoning my doctor on Monday.

2. Anyone out there been diagnosed with diabetes?
    Can you tell me your experiences of being diagnosed please?
    Did you notice symptoms yourself or was it through going to the docs for something else?
    Would a doctor think I'm completely cuckoo if I turn up at the surgery and say I think I have diabetes?
    and I am phoning my doctor on Monday.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It really depends - what symptoms do you have?

4. Overweight
    Very dry mouth - especially at night
    Going to the loo loads
    Fatigue - I feel tired all the time
    Occasionally blurred vision - but usually when I'm tired.

5. Thirsty!!

6. Do you carry a lot of your excess weight round your middle?

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

OH presented at the dr with those symptoms (except being overweight) and was diagnosed last year. I don't think your dr will think it odd at all - my OH was actually in quite a bad state and briefly hospitalised - he had no idea he was so ill.

8. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You won't need to say "I think I have diabetes" though.... it's the first thing that will be tested for.

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My mum forced my dad to go to the doctor a few years ago with these symptoms and it turned out he has type 2 diabetes. They also found he had incredibly high blood presssure and he's now on loads of tablets for this. The diabetes itself can be controlled by diet.

10. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2007 (although I wasn't teaching at the time - I was taking time out). I asked to be tested because of my weight and because my mother had it. I was worried because I was exhibiting all of the symptoms you're talking about.
    I hope it all goes well for you.

11. Hi Pastychucker
    I was diagnosed with Type 1 aged 23; at the time there was a poster campaign showing all the symptoms (thirst, blurry vision etc) and so I was fairly certain that I was diabetic.
    I said to the doctor, "I think I'm diabetic" but then it was all a big shock as I hadn't really appreciated what a serious condition it is.
    It did take a while to get used to the idea but what made a huge difference was making friends of a similar age with the condition.
    Good luck
    hgxiv

12. I had a very weird diagnosis! I went to an emergency clinic with a pain in my foot, while the triage nurse was looking at it, she commented on my dry skin on my feet! Told her I moisturised every day and she said she wanted me to go and have a blood test at my own GP's! Lo and behold I had diabetes!
    I had none of the other usual symptoms, weeing, thirst etc, other than my vision was a bit blurred which I put down to not wearing glasses when I should!
    Get checked out - for one simple blood test you can sort so much out!

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

She was around on personal last week...