1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DHT to HT?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by starfly, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Hi, Im hoping for some advice. I am currently DHT at a large Primary school and have been in post for a year. I was previously DHT at a smaller school for 3 years. My Headteacher is leaving in July. I really don't know whether to go for the post or not. The school is large and I feel ideally needs an experienced headteacher; but I am also aware that at the moment most experienced heads are retiring and that the likelihood will be that an inexperienced head will be appointed. I think I would hate to be in a situation where I would be working with a HT less experienced than myself. I love the school and the staff but just don't know if it would be best to go for the HT role or stay as DHT. Members of staff are asking what I will do and several have suggested that I should go for it so I feel I have their support. When do you know you are ready to be HT? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi, Im hoping for some advice. I am currently DHT at a large Primary school and have been in post for a year. I was previously DHT at a smaller school for 3 years. My Headteacher is leaving in July. I really don't know whether to go for the post or not. The school is large and I feel ideally needs an experienced headteacher; but I am also aware that at the moment most experienced heads are retiring and that the likelihood will be that an inexperienced head will be appointed. I think I would hate to be in a situation where I would be working with a HT less experienced than myself. I love the school and the staff but just don't know if it would be best to go for the HT role or stay as DHT. Members of staff are asking what I will do and several have suggested that I should go for it so I feel I have their support. When do you know you are ready to be HT? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.