1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DHT Responsibilities

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by golf12, Oct 4, 2019.

1. golf12

golf12 New commenter

I am a Deputy Head of a one form entry primary. I was wondering how much other deputy headteachers do in their schools? My responsibilities include; leading literacy across the school; attending all governor meetings, which can finish at 8 at night; line manager for TA's which includes carrying out appraisals and observations of them once a year; NQT mentor; KS2 manager; Educational visits co-ordinator, which includes organising the Y6 residential each year; 1 assembly sometimes 2 or even 3 a week; 2 playtime duties; dinner duties; and I am class based. I have 1/2 day PPA and 1 day for management time. Is this similar to what others do?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Sounds about right to me. I could even add safeguarding DSL and organising sickness cover. Also you’re lucky if evening meetings finish at 8. The earliest I could get was 9pm. Much depends though on the size of the staff overall. If it’s a medium to big school then maybe try to pass on something like EVC.

3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I’m a HT of a two form primary school- because of the size of the school, I have a Deputy Headteacher and two Assistant Headteacher’s-
    My Deputy oversees the curriculum and liaises with the subject leaders, whereas my AHTs act as ‘phase leaders’ who oversee a separate key stage- and report into myself and the DHT. My DHT also is the main NQT mentor- however, this responsibility will be shared in the future with AHTs to aid progression. My DHT also manages EV, attendance and ECM.

Because of the size of the school, my Deputy is not class based, but my AHTs are.

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

It's similar to what I do but I am also SENCO, DSL, EYFS and ks1 lead, traching school coordinator and curriculum lead. I am also class based.