1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DHT - reasonable pay increments

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Aquasheriff, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I'd like some advice on what the usual thinking is on pay increments for a DHT. How often would you expect, as a deputy head, to move up to the next point. Also if you don't move to the next point, what are the reasons as head you would give for this.
    I've been a deputy for five years, have seen the school move from SM, to satisfactory, and then in the last two years from satisfactory to good with outstanding features. I've written every RAP and wrote 3/4 of our last SEF. I've hit ALL my PM targets and more. The Head has had this acknowledged and the rest of the SLT have progressed through UPS. All thoughts are welcome.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

To be fair, we've only got your views on your specific performance and contributions to the school. Many heads and governing bodies expect deputies not only to do their job (which the things you've mentioned are), but to contribute significantly to school performance and improvement. We don't know whether or not you have.
    Now, having said that, the other side of the coin (your perspective) is that you appear not to have been given an increment for five years - is that correct? If (as it seems apparent) you feel hard done by - and most people in your shoes would - you should appeal to the governing body pay appeals committee. You ought to have done this before now, because the most increments you are allowed to have in any one year is 2 - if you'd gone to them before, you could have advanced further by now.
    Have you discussed your non-progression with the head? Has s/he given reasons for not recommending increments for you? That's your first port of call, followed by appeal to the governors' pay appeals committee. But you'd better get your skates on, as the year is almost over.