1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DHT presentation

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by scarlet03, Apr 10, 2012.

1. I am interested in opinions on the format for an interview presentation for a DHT job. I have used PPT and am reasonably pleased with the content. The question is, do people usually use PPT for such presentations? Also, my presentation is informative, relevant, (I believe!) but not interactive. Is it normal in such situations for a candidate to do something a bit interactive/ unusual? I suppose I mean something that will make them stand out? Or is a straightforward but well delivered PPT enough?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Primary or secondary?
    I ask because at secondary level I can't see the panel being terribly comfortable with an interactive presentation. They're looking to see how well you can synthesise and present information in an easily understandable way.
    My best advice is: use as few slides as possible, ensure you're using them only as prompts and not reading their content aloud and know your stuff well enough to do it without any notes.

3. Thanks for replying - it's secondary.
    It's a ten minute presentation, I've used 5 slides (the first one being the title page). So essentially 2 and a half mins per page. They don't have a great deal of writing on them, just a summary title (happens to be pupils, teachers, parents and 'to conclude') and bullet pointed summary.
    I have found some cartoons (not the Tom and Jerry type) which are amusing and linked to each of the subheadings, simply to bring a smile to their faces and hopefully make my presentation memorable when compared with the other two shortlisted candidates. (This is the second of two days.) I think I'm going to leave it at that and practise lots. Thanks for the advice about prompts - in the past I've always used index cards - I'll do it without this time.

4. Remember, if the screen is behind you, the laptop will be in front of you, so you could glance down at the prompts on the slide from time to time and that reduces the needs for cue cards etc.
    Whatever you do, don't keep turning round to the screen! - I've seen that so many times, with people who should know better, too!
    All the very best, and well done for getting to this stage.
    Bouga

5. Middlemarch

Absolutely - I do agree. That's where PP presentations mean you don't need notes. I have to say, as a head who's watched many teachers give presentations for interviews, that the ones who look as if they're doing it from the heart and the head do best for me. What you really need in a deputy is someone who can present well, without a safety net!

6. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to use pictures (professional stock photographs rather than cartoons) on your slides and no words at all (except for the title of each slide).
    Write a script for each slide which links ideas to each picture and make them appear in order using the animation tool. Then you need no notes at all as each picture becomes a prompt for the associated ideas from your script and you are in no danger of falling into the trap of reading aloud what's on the screen in front of them.
    In fact, with enough practice, there is no reason to turn to the screen at all as you will know exactly what's happening behind you each time you click the mouse, keyboard, clicker or whatever. However, if you do lose your thread it's amazing how effective a picture is at getitng you back on track.
    Well done for getting to interview (which us no mean feat) and good luck!

7. Middlemarch

More good advice from frymeariver.

8. Don't use powerpoint - it looks dated and old hat now. Use something like Prezzi as it looks more impressive!

9. Many thanks to you all for your advice. I have now re-done the presentation using Prezi, what a difference that has made! Also, I am confident without cards and have very little in the way of text, relying more on images. I'm feeling very positive about it - and passionate about it too. Your help has done wonders for making me excited about my own presentation. (That sounds a bit wierd, but there you go!) Presentation and panel interview on Tuesday - fingers crossed all!

10. Good luck.

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Glad to hear it. This thread is such a refreshing change from the "write my presentation/ application etc." ones usually on TES. Very best of luck!

12. Just as an update. I got the job. Many thanks for the help.

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Congratulations!

14. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

Well done!

15. Thanks for the update - great to hear! They must have been wowed by Prezi you see (and you!!)

16. Thanks everyone. It's just starting to sink in. It really is my dream job! And yes, the Prezi definitely helped!

17. Middlemarch

Great to hear your good news and glad we could help a tiny little bit (because you got the job on your own merits and asked only sensible questions here).

18. Thanks to this forum, I've just discovered Prezi - wow, I love it! Only problem is, I've spent more time on the whizzy things it can do than the content of my presentation. Still a week to go though so fingers crossed Prezi will help me too with my Deputy Head Interview presentation...it's actually making me look forward to instead of dread it!

19. Got the job! It must have been the Prezi! [​IMG]