1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dharamsala

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by brianwilson, Jul 11, 2011.

1. brianwilson

brianwilson New commenter

Has anyone taken a school trip to dharamsala? Is it good?

2. mikeshaw

mikeshaw Administrator Staff Member

I spent half a year there teaching in a Tibetan monastery.
    Dharamsala is a curious little town, perched on the top of a hill. It's not got the world's prettiest monasteries, but, as the home of the Tibetan government in exile there's a great range of Tibetan culture represented - plus the occasional opportunity to queue up to meet the Dalai Lama himself.
    I'm not sure how easy it would be to organise the trip, but there are plenty of hostels there. You might be able to arrange some kind of twinning activity with the Children's Village, the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts, or one of the monasteries, which have pupils aged from about six or seven upwards. I'd try to help with contacts, but it's been so long since I was there, you're better off Googling, I'm afraid.
    The trip up the hill into the town is probably the riskiest bit of the journey, so make sure you get a good bus driver. I went to a lecture there by the author of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying who made various jokes on the lines of "Think about the time you were closest to death... Yes, it was on the bus up here, wasn't it? And you knew the driver didn't care because he believed in reincarnation..."
    If you take a school trip there, try to fit a visit to Amritsar in on the way back. You might get some parents who are uncertain about a group going so close to the border with Pakistan, but the Golden Temple complex is one of the most extraordinary sights I've seen. Plus you can take the pupils to see the site of the Amritsar massacre, which would be a really powerful history lesson - especially now we have a government so keen on historical revisionism about the British empire.
    All the best,
    Michael
    michael.shaw@tes.co.uk

3. The Dalai Lama is a wanted terrorist by the Chinese.
    Why do people support western stooges like the lama?
    The lama should be captured and put on trial in China.

4. I think john963 obviously has a lot of 'interesting'/ offensive opinions to offer several of our discussions. Glad you dont teach any of my children!