1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DH primary interview competency exercises?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Roseman, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Roseman

Roseman New commenter

Hi All
    I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on the type of competency exercises you may be likely to get for a Deputy Headship interview (primary.)
    Any help greatly appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Start by looking at the job spec, and thinking what you would do to get somebody to show that they could cope! Data analysis, or observing a teaching session, possibly giving feedback, are quite common, but think of other tasks that a DHT has to do on a daily basis.
    Understanding the data will be a major thing, normally.
    Also look at the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread - there are links inside to threads about in-tray exercises for SLT posts, as well as general interview advice.
    And depending on the timing, you could be signing up for this TES seminar:
    S98. Making the move into Headship or a Senior Leadership Team? - Saturday 21st April - learn all about how the interview structure differs from your experience to date, the common pitfalls, how to make yourself stand out from the crowd and what to expect from the normal 2 day Leadership interview assessment procedure.
    Presented by TES Prime
    For more information and to register please visit: www.tesweekendworkshop98.eventbrite.co.uk
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. I had 3 interviews before I got mine - I had to teach a lesson in all 3, take an assembly in 2 and then the written tasks varied from ordering a series of e-mails into priority order to analysing academic data and identifying a plan for the school based on what I had noticed...Good luck!