1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DH interview 15 min "lesson"

Discussion in 'Primary' started by molli, May 22, 2011.

1. Hi

I have a DH interview this week, one of the activities is a fifteen minute "lesson" with 32 year 3s. Subject - inspiring writing using multimodal teaching. Any advice/ideas please.

Thanks

2. What is the stimulus? Are the class already working on something you can link to?

3. No stimulus given. It's just so open ended. SIP priority is boys writing.

4. How about using a clip from a film and use it to inspire descriptive writing. Perhaps try a clip from an older film that they might not be familair with, maybe Fantasia or Robin Hood? Lots of images to inspire description. Maybe they could work in pairs to generate a bank of adjectives to describe then maybe a challenge to write the best descriptive sentence(s), still in pairs, with housepoints/golden time as a reward for the best efforts.

5. or on a more recent theme, cars, how to train your dragon and Toy Story might be good...

6. Thanks. Would it be considered multimodal enough!!!!!????!! This is something I do all the time using films, tv clips (my boys love top gear).

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Not wanting to sound rude but you're going for a DH interview. Which kind of implies you are an experienced teacher with a range of experience in both Key Stages. Surely you've got enough experience and confidence in your abilities as a teacher not to need advice on something you've been doing for years.
    Have faith in yourself and your ability.

8. Ouch!
    Didn't think there was anything wrong with "bouncing" a few ideas round.

9. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bouncing ideas round. Good luck with the interview.

10. Your op doesn't sound like you want to bounce ideas around. It sounds very much like you just want others to think of the ideas for you.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you'd 'bounced' your own ideas here, I'd agree - but you merely asked what to do.
    That's terrifying, to be honest - you think you're good enough to step up as head if the headteacher who appoints you falls under the metaphorical bus, yet you can't come up with your own 15 min lesson idea.

12. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

This. The forum is awash with people asking for interview help at the moment. I would hope that any DH at my school would be able to think of a lesson off their own back... and if you contributed your ideas maybe we could 'bounce' them around and help you, but all I see is you asking for others ideas! :p

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Quite.
    The OP also needs to consider that many heads (myself included) look on here when they're interviewing to see who is asking for ideas.
    Last year I interviewed 6 teachers for a job, 4 of whom gave the same lesson, which they got from TES forum.
    They did not get through to the next stage of interview.