1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DfES NUMBER

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by kirilov, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I am really interesting in knowing (once and for all), what is the "DfES" number because in all the application forms I have filled out they are asking me for this number... I have read in several forums different answer: the "DfES" is the same number of the GTC, that is, the TEACHING REFERENCING NUMBER, in my case that is: just 7 digits (WITHOUT SLASH)

in other places I have read that the "DfES" is a number that must be provided for the work place... DfES = Department for Education and Skills...

In some applications forms I have filled out for a teaching vacancy were asking me for the QTS number and in the same application, for the "DfES" number....

The information, the answers I have read about this information is driving me crazy...

Please, can anyone tell me what is the DfES number and where I can get it. If the answer is going to be that is the same of GTC number, that is my TRN, why is asking me twice in the same application form???

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. I am really interesting in knowing (once and for all), what is the "DfES" number because in all the application forms I have filled out they are asking me for this number... I have read in several forums different answer: the "DfES" is the same number of the GTC, that is, the TEACHING REFERENCING NUMBER, in my case that is: just 7 digits (WITHOUT SLASH)

in other places I have read that the "DfES" is a number that must be provided for the work place... DfES = Department for Education and Skills...

In some applications forms I have filled out for a teaching vacancy were asking me for the QTS number and in the same application, for the "DfES" number....

The information, the answers I have read about this information is driving me crazy...

Please, can anyone tell me what is the DfES number and where I can get it. If the answer is going to be that is the same of GTC number, that is my TRN, why is asking me twice in the same application form???

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

3. It's the same. I think the forms are outdated.x

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The GTC have been around for lass than 10 years. Teachers used be issued with a DfES teacher number on getting QTS.
    The GTC took over the DfES role and the numbers were issued in the same way.
    Many older teachers still call it their DfES number or teacher number, just as those who have qualified in the last 9 years will no doubt reach retirement calling it their GTC number!
    Sometimes the formatting on application forms has a forward slash sparating letters and numbers; sometimes you write the entire registration without the slash.

5. Really appreciate your help...

A million thanks...

6. I also have this problem!
    I am starting a new job in a new authority after February half term. I have provided them with my GTC number but they are requesting my DfES number as well, stating that it must begin with the date I qualified?
    Can anybody help???

7. The DFES, GTC, TRN etc. number are all the same thing. It is your registration number with the teaching agency that identifies you as a qualified teacher. The Head needs this number to check that you havfe QTS and to see if you have passed induction. It does normally start with a date , two numbers that correspond to the year in which you trained so, for example 03/XXXX would be someone who trained in 2003-4 the final number is unique to you.
    Just so that you know, the teacbing agency will be changing its name again (soon) after it merges with the national college for school leadership.
    The Sage

8. I have 5 numbers after the slash! Am I very special, or have read it wrong?

9. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I do too.You haven't read it wrong :)

10. [​IMG]

No you haven't read it wrong I missed off an X