1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dfes number

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lowestoftlad, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Hope everyone is well and 'enjoying' their placements hehe. Just wondered does anyone know which number is the dfes one? Is it the one which you use to do the TDA tests? Thanks in advance for any help :) x

2. Hope everyone is well and 'enjoying' their placements hehe. Just wondered does anyone know which number is the dfes one? Is it the one which you use to do the TDA tests? Thanks in advance for any help :) x

3. No.
    Your training provider should be handing out a letter from GTC by the end of this month called 'Welcome to Teaching', which contains your teacher registration number (new name for DfES or GTC number). It will be in the form of 08/12345.
    If you haven't got yours yet, just leave the section blank on application forms.

4. Thank you. I got that letter today so have the teacher reference number. This application form is asking for dfes number and a gtc registration number, is there a difference. So many numbers!

5. No, there is now only one number a teacher keeps for life, the teacher registration number.

6. You are right - I've just looked at mine, it's teacher reference number.

7. We had ours today but we were told that we're not allowed to use them until we have QTS. So we're not allowed to provide them to an employer until July?

8. ARGH, so confusing lol

9. I suppose strictly speaking your TRN isn't 'official' until you successfully comeplete the course and are recommended for QTS. But quoting your TRN as a potential NQT, the school will know that and you aren't misleading them in any way (as though you were an experienced teacher).
    So I'd just quote the number and the rest of the application makes the facts clear.