1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

dfes number and gtc number- difference?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mchuckyegg, Apr 13, 2006.

1. As you can see (other threads) I am mad busy filling application forms in taking the odd break to get advice on here. More help needed:
    What is the dfes number ??/????? - this
    What is the differnce with the gtc number?
    Am I confused or what?

2. As you can see (other threads) I am mad busy filling application forms in taking the odd break to get advice on here. More help needed:
    What is the dfes number ??/????? - this
    What is the differnce with the gtc number?
    Am I confused or what?

3. They are both the same. It is very confusing I know!!! Your teacher reference number will be on your GTC card when you start your first year of teaching. Good luck with the applications!

4. Phew... thank god... so I am not a total dumbass... cheers... just to double check it looks like this

04/45168

I hope I get somethng soon or the head and slt leave/change yeah (wishful thinking)

THANKS

5. yup thats the right one... but dont ever put it up on the net again.. it can lead to a right mess ...ppl can identify who u are :)
    gud luck wit the applications.

6. I made that one up!
    I am a liitle mad/daft but not stupid!
    HA :)

7. :) I see... well I was basing it on myself - its the kind of brainless thing i would do myself you see and then think d'oh!

8. I have just accepted an NQT position (just completed my PGCE) and the new school have asked me for my GTC number. I have not heard about this number before. Could anybody tell me when I would get this number and what it is for?

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It will be on your NQT certificate when it arrives, and may appear on any communication you've had from the GTCE.
    In the meantime, just put "not yet issued" or something similar.

10. Can I just check something? Mchuckyegg's gtc number looks different to the one on my correspondence from the GTC. Mine is just a series of 7 digits with no forward slash in it. What's the difference between mine and mchucky's number?

11. Mine's the same Honey Loop. It's puzzled me on application forms when they've printed the /, but I've just written the number I've been given.
    Perhaps the numbers with the / are old numbers? I've just qualified this year.

12. The number can be written with or without the slash. Even within the GTC site the usage varies. The first two digits indicate the year of issue which is not necessarily the same as the year of qualification (mine is 05/ although completed PGCE and gained QTS in 06).

Both DfES and GTC are actually incorrect terminology. The number should be called TRN (Teacher Reference Number) especially as the DfES is now the DfECF (at a guess, Dept for Education Children and the Family - not actually seen the new abbreviation).

13. But when they ask for DFES number on application forms we give the GTC number? I'm a bit thick...sorry. Forms are seriously my downfall.

14. There is no DfES or GTC number - both are actually the TRN. Use that number. The reason for the different fields apparently is obscure - probably because different teachers were issued with different forms of number at different periods.

By the way, no more DfES anyway and (having checked!) we are now subjects of DCSF - the Department for Children, Schools and Families.

15. Department for Cushions and Soft Furnishings

16. I thought it was called your TRN.