1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DFE - We are spending record amounts on education, NOT!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rity-headteachers-investigation-a8569116.html

The Department for Education (DfE) and ministers dismissed the concerns of headteachers - saying that the UK was “the third highest spender on education in the world”. But it has emerged from a BBC report that these figures – used to defend school spending – also included money spent by university students on tuition fees and parents on private school fees. And now the UK Statistics Authority, the watchdog which prevents the misleading use of figures, has launched an investigation of the government’s claim.

Lies. damn lies and DFE (Tory) statistics?

Mrsmumbles and stonerose like this.
  2. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

The latest Consumer Price Index figure shows inflation running at 2.7% while the Retail Price Index shows it running at 3.5%.

Meanwhile, this September many teachers were lucky to get a 2% rise and many got less - okay those at the bottom got a bit more. When salaries don't keep pace with inflation, is it any wonder teachers are voting with their feet?

Is it any wonder either that the Government are lying about spending on education - because lying's what it is - when nobody calls them out over it?

And what does it say about our unions that they've allowed the Government to peddle this lie for months and it's only now it's being challenged?

3. install

install Star commenter

Its about time some hts got out of their cosy offices ... I wonder how many actually lost any pay rises this year ? :rolleyes:

stonerose likes this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

some?? ALL! and abolish all non teaching posts for trained teachers.

MarieAnn18, stonerose and install like this.
  5. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

There is a lot of money in education but it does reach the places where its needed. A ludicrous among being throw at non doing sectors like ofsted, academy chiefs etc. because they believe they're worth it.

Ditto shortage of teachers. Thousands out there but they don't want to teach.

Now I wonder if there's a connection??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mrsmumbles and schoolsout4summer like this.
  6. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Not without satnav! They'd become lost poor lambs in the classroom jungle.

Mrsmumbles and install like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Or some might just pop by for 5 mins and say they are done for the day:cool:

Mrsmumbles and stonerose like this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/dfe-gets-official-dressing-down-repeatedly-misleading-stats

So Damian Hinds gets a good telling off from the UK statistics authority:

“I am writing to raise with you serious concerns about the Department for Education’s presentation and use of statistics,” said the letter.

“The UK Statistics Authority has had cause to publicly write to the Department with concerns on four occasions in the past year. I regret that the Department does not yet appear to have resolved issues with its use of statistics.

“I urge the Department to involve analysts closely in the development of its communications, to ensure that data are properly presented in a way that does not mislead.”

I could sum up these three sentences with just two words - stop lying!

9. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

How dare you deny that more money is being spent. Shed loads extra is being ploughed into fat-cat headteacher salaries.

Shedman and Mrsmumbles like this.