1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DFE urged to act faster on recruitment and retention

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I hadn't realised they were even acting!

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Unless you use the definition of ating as 'pretending'.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I am sure the DFE will get right onto it.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I thought Hobby said they could not do much about recruitment because so many schools are autonomous now. Sounds like NAHT are blaming the DFE and the DFE are blaming schools.
    The NAHT should instruct its members to act on the letter sent out by the DFE to cut down on various workload issues like data etc., oh yes schools do not take any notice of letters sent out by the DFE (ceo’s pay) and the NAHT do not instruct their members. A recipe for no change then!

JohnJCazorla, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

If I were the DFE I would provide some sort of incentive to attract new entrants to the profession - perhaps a free Cadbury's Cream Egg and one of those LOL dolls.
    [​IMG]

cassandramark2 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Mmmm a little ironic ...it was some heads in the first place who didn't stick by their teachers or the art of teaching. If only some heads had acted sooner rather than grabbing the money, the distant office and the role of 'teacher drainer' in some places - and all whilst some earned a second salary as Exec Ht or otherwise away from their workplace.. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Seeing that picture makes me yearn for that website where you could slap him!

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So why involve the DFE? As far as funding goes they only have powers to distribute the money passed on by ministers, as far as workload, it's down to heads and their perception of what OFSTED expect next time (which may not be what ofsted are saying they want now). OFSTED go their own way and don't seem to be answerable to anyone.
    Philip Hammond is directly responsible for funding. He seems to hate the idea of public spending. With politics the way it is, I'm not surprised that the Government are trying to avoid long term financial commitments, they have no idea what's coming in six months either.
    However, if we want to build a strong Britain with an educated, skilled workforce, an investment in education is going to be essential, particularly as we don't seem to want to employ people from other countries any more.

Shedman and install like this.
  11. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Waiting for profit-based academies to be encouraged by the state.