1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DfE TV adverts cost more than £1k per shortage subject teacher registration

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 3, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Are TV adverts a cost effective way of encouraging people to join the teaching profession? The evaluation of a government campaign makes for interesting reading especially as a new advert is due to be launched later this month:

‘A Department for Education TV marketing campaign to encourage people to become teachers cost more than £1,000 for every person who registered their interest in a shortage subject, new figures have revealed.

This morning the government published an evaluation of its Your Future | Their Future marketing campaign, which ran from September 2012 to January 2016.

According to the evaluation, the DfE's spend on TV and video marketing cost £1,140 per person who registered their interest online in teaching in a shortage subject.’

Would a TV, radio or social media advert encourage you to go into teaching? What encouraged you to go into teaching? Had you seen any adverts before you started your route into teaching? If so, what was in the advert?

https://www.tes.com/news/dfe-tv-adverts-cost-ps11k-shortage-subject-teacher-registration

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Remember the stock phrase ‘we are spending record amounts on ..............’ put your own phrase, why not have another record amounts on recruitment. If this was my business, I would not be wasting my money on this ineffective type of advertising.
    Come on DFE you know what you have to - reduce workload and so make the job more attractive.

3. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

I think workload is the root of bad retention. I think pay is the root of bad recruitment.

The general public seem to think teachers have it easy with 13 weeks holiday a year, 9am-3pm working hours, just guiding a bunch of eager learners through some simple content, etc. They won't see workload until they enter the profession for real, at which point it's a retention problem.

If they want to 'spend record amounts' and improve recruitment, increase the pay. It's the first thing people look at when considering a new job, moreso a new career.

phlogiston and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I wonder how many of those who "registered an interest" actually completed teacher training and started teaching.

5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

NO OTHER BUSINESS IN BRITAIN HAS TO ADVERTISE FOR CANDIDATES.
    Poor pay and conditions, harassment, bullying, ageism, business and Austerity have now made being a school teacher a poor career choice. Better career paths in other businesses are available.
    Additionally, I am convinced that the best, or even good candidates are no longer being attracted to the business.
    PS. I was going to call Teaching a profession, but of course it is now a business.

6. schoolsout4summer

Or, even actually WANT to teach children?

7. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Maybe start praising teachers and teaching in the media instead of berating and criticising them... that might help!

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  8. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Maybe start funding teacher training again. It's not the pay which would deter me now but the fact that when I trained I got my fees paid and a £6,000 bursary. To do the same course now would cost me £9,000. In reality that is £16,500 more than it cost in 2006. I had left university with student debt, had a job with an income and to be honest would not have trained to be a teacher if I'd had to take out an additional £9,000 loan for the fees plus something else to actually live off.

englbee, yodaami2 and phlogiston like this.
  9. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

The only exception I can think of is the armed forces. I suppose persuading people to be shot at is on a par with the appeal of teaching.

10. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

No. Next question...!

11. Lalex123

Hahaha that made my day!!!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. schoolsout4summer

This is also aimed at encouraging TA soldiers etc (part-timers). Government thinking is that these weekenders can bolster the shrinking number of professional servicemen - sorry persons.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. schoolsout4summer

Don't be ridiculous - that wouldn't help at all.

14. Lalex123

I can’t tell if that’s scarcastic or its you’re true opinion....

15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The ads are deeply offensive, and I am sure they breach advertising standards

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

@CheeseMongler beat me to it with the armed forces. I'm sure I've seen TV ads for nursing from time to time. and other ads persuading low skilled folk to upgrade skills via various agencies.
    You can look at this several ways. £1000 is of the order of 5% (or a bit less) of a starting salary. Although a grand is a large sum of money when it's coming out of our bank accounts, it's smallish in the business of getting the workforce long term.
    It might be good for the Government to take note that recruiting teachers is becoming increasingly expensive, and I think that when they're not distracted by Brexit, they are beginning to understand that retention needs more effort that they're showing at the moment.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. schoolsout4summer

I was simply reflecting the current thinking on raising standards in Education.
    upload_2019-1-6_20-22-10.jpeg

18. schoolsout4summer

Increasingly difficult surely?

19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Expensive because difficult.