1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DfE to increase sublevels from 3 to 4 to make evidencing progress easier

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by adamcreen, Apr 1, 2012.

1. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

if only :)

2. adamcreen

if only :)

3. DM

DM New commenter

I didn't even realise there was a "we need more sublevels" camp.

4. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I'm hoping this is an April Fool but have too little faith in DfE to be convinced.

5. DM

DM New commenter

Adam's idea of fun. DfE are abolishing levels so they are hardly likely to introduce more sublevels for something that won't exist!

6. adamcreen

Bonus marks to DM for spotting the reason behind the joke! Though my school would love to have more sublevels for when we fill in our 6-weekly progress grades and parents phone in worried about lack of progress!

7. DM

DM New commenter

As Head of Dept are you not in a position to advise SLT that such frequent reporting is inappropriate?

8. I clicked on this panicked that DfE were making a U-turn on levels. Thank God that doesn't seem to be the case!
    Does anyone know if Ofsted are currently focusing on 'levels'? Or moving away from them in repsonse to the DfE's new stance on them?
    My school seem to think in order to get Outstanding it's all about levels. They think the first questions Ofsted will ask are
    "Do you know the levels of each child" (data sheets coming out of our ears)
    "Johnny, do you know what level you're working at?" (levels abound in their books)
    "Do children know what level the work is" (big whiteboard in classroom with that lesson's objectives with levels on).
    At my school they'd have much more fun focusing on the dreadful behaviour and lack of leadership in some key departments (some depts are fantastic!).

9. With Gove in charge its April the 1st everyday.
    Im sure 4 levels are made yet primary schools fabricating KS2 results and poor teachers/schools snowballing levels in KS3 means we will never really know.
    Bring back formal external testing throughout and have an international standard.