1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DfE Registration Number

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Nat185, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Nat185

Nat185 New commenter

Hello All,

This is my first post. I am hoping that someone may be able to help me.

I am trying to find out if either a Level 3 Teaching Assistant qualification or a Level 3 Award in Education & Training qualification, both of which I am studying at present will lead to a DfE Registration Number. If not, which training courses would please? Or where could I find this information.

I have tried asking my course providers, the DfE website, the Teaching Regulation Authority and others and am running out of ideas of who to ask.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

the DofE registers qualified teachers, not teaching assistants. You won't need one as a teaching assistant.

3. Nat185

Nat185 New commenter

Thanks. What about the Level 3 Award in Education and Training please?

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

DfE nuuumbers are for qualified teachers only.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Teachers generally have a degree (a level 6 qualification) and then possibly also a PGCE (a level 7 qualification)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  6. Nat185

Nat185 New commenter

Thank you. The point is that the Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualifies you to teach in Further Education. That is why I was asking.

7. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

The short answer is no. The best you can hope for is to eventually register with SET and apply for QTLS. This would take a further year. You would have to pay for this, approximately £500, maintain your registration and keep updated. There is an ongoing fee for this.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

you don't need any actual qualifications to teach in further education. The award you mention might be helpful, I don't know anything about it, but no level 3 course would lead to QTS.

We might be able to be more helpful if you explained what it is you are trying to achieve? A DofE number is of no value in and of itself, its just a record that you are on the list of UK qualified teachers. that is all. You don't need on to be a TA, or to work in further education. You just get one automatically when you register to do initial teacher training, after a degree, and keep it if you go on to qualify.

9. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Be very, very wary of Level 3 Award qualifications. If my memory serves me right there are awards, certificates and diplomas at each level. A level 3 Award is nowhere near an AS level or even an A level, or a BTec Level 3 Diploma or Certificate.

If you are paying your hard earned doss for qualifications with the aim of getting paid one day, go for qualifications that matter, i.e. Level 3 Certificates/Diplomas, A levels, undergraduate diplomas etc. gained in reputable institutions like FE colleges and universities.

There are a lot of bogus organisations, registered by Ofqual, offering Level 3 Awards costing HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of pounds that mean absolutely NOTHING in the real world.

In the real world of education, in management there is a something for nothing mindset. So never be surprised if when you apply for paid work, you are offered to work for nothing. You would be better off volunteering to work in the sector and seeing if they will offer to train you for free and give you a paid job whilst you train. Many colleges and schools do this especially if you have a degree in Maths or Sciences.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  10. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Ahh..ok...well being a 'teacher' is easy...it is not a protected title, anyone can call themselves a teacher. However, to be a qualified teacher and have "Qualified Teacher Status" then as the government site says you have to have, or be working towards, a degree and a GCSE C or 4 in English and maths: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/eligibility-for-teacher-training

Rott Weiler likes this.
  11. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Where to get dfes number? I keep forgetting mine. Employer or gov site?

12. tinalouisegriffiths

tinalouisegriffiths New commenter

Level 3 Award in education and training (PTTLS) is the new recognised qualification for FE.
    I have the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DTTLS) and teach in FE with no problems, you wont need DfE number.

Happy Teaching

13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As always, @catbefriender 'tells it like it is'!