1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

DfE Registration Number

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Nat185, Feb 18, 2020.

  1. Nat185

    Nat185 New commenter

    Hello All,

    This is my first post. I am hoping that someone may be able to help me.

    I am trying to find out if either a Level 3 Teaching Assistant qualification or a Level 3 Award in Education & Training qualification, both of which I am studying at present will lead to a DfE Registration Number. If not, which training courses would please? Or where could I find this information.

    I have tried asking my course providers, the DfE website, the Teaching Regulation Authority and others and am running out of ideas of who to ask.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Corvuscorax

    Corvuscorax Star commenter

    the DofE registers qualified teachers, not teaching assistants. You won't need one as a teaching assistant.
  3. Nat185

    Nat185 New commenter

    Thanks. What about the Level 3 Award in Education and Training please?
  4. BelleDuJour

    BelleDuJour Star commenter

    DfE nuuumbers are for qualified teachers only.
    agathamorse likes this.
  5. diddydave

    diddydave Established commenter

    Teachers generally have a degree (a level 6 qualification) and then possibly also a PGCE (a level 7 qualification)
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.
  6. Nat185

    Nat185 New commenter

    Thank you. The point is that the Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualifies you to teach in Further Education. That is why I was asking.
  7. phatsals

    phatsals Established commenter

    The short answer is no. The best you can hope for is to eventually register with SET and apply for QTLS. This would take a further year. You would have to pay for this, approximately £500, maintain your registration and keep updated. There is an ongoing fee for this.
    agathamorse likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

    Corvuscorax Star commenter

    you don't need any actual qualifications to teach in further education. The award you mention might be helpful, I don't know anything about it, but no level 3 course would lead to QTS.

    We might be able to be more helpful if you explained what it is you are trying to achieve? A DofE number is of no value in and of itself, its just a record that you are on the list of UK qualified teachers. that is all. You don't need on to be a TA, or to work in further education. You just get one automatically when you register to do initial teacher training, after a degree, and keep it if you go on to qualify.
  9. catbefriender

    catbefriender Lead commenter

    Be very, very wary of Level 3 Award qualifications. If my memory serves me right there are awards, certificates and diplomas at each level. A level 3 Award is nowhere near an AS level or even an A level, or a BTec Level 3 Diploma or Certificate.

    If you are paying your hard earned doss for qualifications with the aim of getting paid one day, go for qualifications that matter, i.e. Level 3 Certificates/Diplomas, A levels, undergraduate diplomas etc. gained in reputable institutions like FE colleges and universities.

    There are a lot of bogus organisations, registered by Ofqual, offering Level 3 Awards costing HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of pounds that mean absolutely NOTHING in the real world.

    In the real world of education, in management there is a something for nothing mindset. So never be surprised if when you apply for paid work, you are offered to work for nothing. You would be better off volunteering to work in the sector and seeing if they will offer to train you for free and give you a paid job whilst you train. Many colleges and schools do this especially if you have a degree in Maths or Sciences.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  10. diddydave

    diddydave Established commenter

    Ahh..ok...well being a 'teacher' is easy...it is not a protected title, anyone can call themselves a teacher. However, to be a qualified teacher and have "Qualified Teacher Status" then as the government site says you have to have, or be working towards, a degree and a GCSE C or 4 in English and maths: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/eligibility-for-teacher-training
    Rott Weiler likes this.
  11. br0wnsugar

    br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

    Where to get dfes number? I keep forgetting mine. Employer or gov site?
  12. tinalouisegriffiths

    tinalouisegriffiths New commenter

    Level 3 Award in education and training (PTTLS) is the new recognised qualification for FE.
    I have the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DTTLS) and teach in FE with no problems, you wont need DfE number.

    Happy Teaching
  13. Jolly_Roger15

    Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

    As always, @catbefriender 'tells it like it is'!

Share This Page