1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DFE - Old Transition units for years 6-7 Answer needed desperately!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mitchpup, Jun 18, 2020.

1. mitchpup

mitchpup New commenter

Hi There,
    I don't know if anyone can remember the old transition (DFe units for transition 6-7) units from a while back where the children had all the letters A-Z with corresponding numbers 1-26.

The task was to find a word that when all the letters were multiplied together that made 1,000,000 exactly.

Did anyone or can anyone remember what a word that equalled 1,000,000 was ?

I need to solve this otherwise my small year 6 bubble will go mad.

2. maths126

maths126 New commenter

A fun puzzle, from which much investigation and puzzling might come.
    The best I could come up with were not single words: YAY! BATHE! and JETTY-B but there is an interesting discussion on Dr Math which will lead you to a single word answer.
    Look for drmath/view/67747.html on the mathforum.org/library/ website.

3. mitchpup

mitchpup New commenter

That's great thanks for the pointers however the website doesn't seem to load as described above ? I feel so close to a solution !

4. UKExceED

UKExceED New commenter

I don’t know what it is, and am not at my computer, but the factors of 1,000,000 are:

That means the word can only be made from:

A, B, D, E, H, J, P, T, Y

As far I can remember, there was no real answer and all words were expected to be new inventions. However, you can make the word ‘Theyby’ (rhymes with baby) which is a fairly modern term for what parents who want to raise their child as gender neutral, call their baby.

I will have another look at this when I am at my computer later.

mitchpup likes this.
  5. maths126

maths126 New commenter

mitchpup likes this.
  6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 07.42.29.png I keep everything! No, there are no answers in the teacher file.

mitchpup likes this.
  7. mitchpup

mitchpup New commenter

Yes I keep everything as well which why I remembered this very good puzzle that my year 6's loved and the new bubbles have really enjoyed this week.

8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I wasted a lot of time on this! I don't think there are any real words apart from the ones above, which certainly aren't words year 6 (or indeed most people) would have come across.

mitchpup likes this.
  9. mitchpup

mitchpup New commenter

Yes I think over the years I seem to have got more and more frustrated whenever I dug this out. I wish the DFE released answers to these problems. But thankfully at least I have TYPEY now to go back with after many many years of not finding one. The closest I ever got was SHELVE for 1,003,200

10. UKExceED

UKExceED New commenter

I’m not sure if you saw our post about THEYBY?

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Seems like a word to avoid.

12. mitchpup

mitchpup New commenter

Yes I did that's another one to introduce although I doubt anyone would have a clue what that means and not sure as a catholic teacher I want to open that can of worms lol

gainly likes this.
  13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If you wanted to use this again, there's no reason why you couldn't modify it to make it more achievable for year 6. You could either change the target number so it is easier to achieve, or give different values to the letters to make 1,000,000 easier to obtain.

14. UKExceED

UKExceED New commenter

To be clear... this word is nothing to do with transgender or sexuality. It is about raising children in an environment which specifically aims to rid the gender conformity stereotypes that have oppressed people for generations. We might not agree with people using the word, but surely as educators we agree with the sentiment. It is not a word to be afraid of, and certainly not a word to avoid for Year 6 and Year 7 children who can hold perfectly reasoned and logical debates about this subject. Girls can be engineers and boys can be ballerinas, etc.