1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DfE Number?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by academicallyblonde, Nov 4, 2010.

1. For those who have not read my previous post, I am looking to return to primary teaching after a long break. I'm in the process of registering for the Returning to Teaching programme, and have just been asked for my DfE number. I have my Teacher Reference Number. Is this the same thing? If not, what does the DfE number look like, and where can I find it?

Many thanks in advance for your help

ab xx

2. For those who have not read my previous post, I am looking to return to primary teaching after a long break. I'm in the process of registering for the Returning to Teaching programme, and have just been asked for my DfE number. I have my Teacher Reference Number. Is this the same thing? If not, what does the DfE number look like, and where can I find it?

Many thanks in advance for your help

ab xx

3. Same thing.

4. Oh, that's a relief.
    Thanks [​IMG]

5. Hi
    I'm always amazed when schools/local authorities keep asking for teachers' DfE number - this 'number' is your registration number which identifes you as a qualified teacher (i.e. holding QTS). In my day it was called a DES number, this then became a DfE number which became a DfEE number and then a TRN (also called by some a DfES number). The teacher reference number starts with the year in which you started training e.g. 09 followed by a reference number.
    In essence it just means that people have not noticed that a different organisation - the GTC now holds the ergister. Mind you,once that's abolished then the TRN could well become a DfE number again or, if registration of teachers is taken over by the TDA then it could still be a TRN or they could decide to call it a TDA number.
    James

6. Aparicio1

Aparicio1 New commenter

Many thank-you