1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Developments in Primary teaching in the last few years?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by griz55, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hi, I've been out of full time primary teaching for a few years and want to return. I'm aware there have been a lot of changes. I received the literacy & numeracy strategy training, but only bits since then. Any advice on where, how and what I need to do to get up to date with current policies, particularly APP?

2. Hi, I've been out of full time primary teaching for a few years and want to return. I'm aware there have been a lot of changes. I received the literacy & numeracy strategy training, but only bits since then. Any advice on where, how and what I need to do to get up to date with current policies, particularly APP?

3. How long is a few years? By strategy training do you mean the original strategies or the revised frameworks? APP is easy to get up to date with - google it or do a forum search on here. Some schools are now ditching it though. Same with the frameworks - quite a few schools are now moving away from this and focusing on the national curriculum as it is the only statutory requirement. The government are currently reviewing the national curriculum.
    I would suggest looking at the education section of the national newspapers online, joining twitter and following lots of education related people/organisations to follow.
    Also have a read of my blog as I have links to some other blogs and recent developments in the news. http://fawkesschool.blogspot.co.uk/

4. It could also be well worth getting familiar with phonics and Letters and Sounds - even if in KS2, it's useful to know what people are talking about, and there are still children needing phonics in KS2 in many schools.
    I've been teaching for 8 years now, and teaching is such a different world from the one I started in.
    Might it be worth volunteering to help with reading for a bit in a local school, to get your toes back in the water?