1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Developing Welsh throughout the school.

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by twist of lime, Dec 1, 2010.

1. twist of lime

twist of lime New commenter

Hi, I am a Welsh coordinator in a valleys school, and I'm just looking for a little bit of advice really just to make sure I am going in the right diredction. Our school is based on two seperate sites, infants and juniors (except Y2 are up on the juniour site) and I teach Reception, I also teach 1 hour of Welsh to Years 5 and 6, I am told that they o get more Welsh lessons during the week, but I am not convinced...anyway, I the only person who speaks Welsh, staff have been on courses but they don't really use Welsh unless really pushe. Anywya, the head has asked me to write something for the action plan, this is what I've come up with and I just wondered if anyone can tell me if I am going in the right direction.
    Also, we use the following schemes:
    Nursery, Reception, Year1 and 2 : Fflic a Fflac, Ar y ffordd and incidental welsh
    Year 3 and 4: Ben Bwgan Brain
    Year 5: Starbec
    Year 6: Bobl Bach
    Are there any alternatives?
    These are my ideas for the SAP opinions are welcome!
    Implement Helpwr heddiw To increase pupils’ confidence in communicating clearly with variety of audiences including teachers, peers and familiar adults in everyday situations. See attached. Planning Ensure that there is an opportunity for Welsh/ Curriculum Cymraeg on staffs’ planning sheets. School entrance Make sure that visitors know that this is a school in Wales. Displays Ensure that at least one assembly a term is a Curriculum Cymraeg assembly, where the children hear a welsh story and sing Welsh songs. The children should be familiar with the school prayer in Welsh. The Urdd Mrs X and I are hoping to participate in the Urdd Eisteddfod this year. Welsh to be used in the tuck Shop Perhaps rename the tuck shop ‘Y siop ffrwythau’. Encourage Year 6 children to use familiar language patterns with younger children. Introduce a reward scheme
    Introduce a Tocyn Clod (a ticket to say they have spoken welsh) every member of staff has vouchers and if they hear any children speaking Welsh they are given a Tocyn Clod, the children can then use the Tocyn clod as a point for their house or as a sticker on their chart.
    Thanks in advance, Twist :)

2. twist of lime

twist of lime New commenter

Hi, I am a Welsh coordinator in a valleys school, and I'm just looking for a little bit of advice really just to make sure I am going in the right diredction. Our school is based on two seperate sites, infants and juniors (except Y2 are up on the juniour site) and I teach Reception, I also teach 1 hour of Welsh to Years 5 and 6, I am told that they o get more Welsh lessons during the week, but I am not convinced...anyway, I the only person who speaks Welsh, staff have been on courses but they don't really use Welsh unless really pushe. Anywya, the head has asked me to write something for the action plan, this is what I've come up with and I just wondered if anyone can tell me if I am going in the right direction.
    Also, we use the following schemes:
    Nursery, Reception, Year1 and 2 : Fflic a Fflac, Ar y ffordd and incidental welsh
    Year 3 and 4: Ben Bwgan Brain
    Year 5: Starbec
    Year 6: Bobl Bach
    Are there any alternatives?
    These are my ideas for the SAP opinions are welcome!
    Implement Helpwr heddiw To increase pupils’ confidence in communicating clearly with variety of audiences including teachers, peers and familiar adults in everyday situations. See attached. Planning Ensure that there is an opportunity for Welsh/ Curriculum Cymraeg on staffs’ planning sheets. School entrance Make sure that visitors know that this is a school in Wales. Displays Ensure that at least one assembly a term is a Curriculum Cymraeg assembly, where the children hear a welsh story and sing Welsh songs. The children should be familiar with the school prayer in Welsh. The Urdd Mrs X and I are hoping to participate in the Urdd Eisteddfod this year. Welsh to be used in the tuck Shop Perhaps rename the tuck shop ‘Y siop ffrwythau’. Encourage Year 6 children to use familiar language patterns with younger children. Introduce a reward scheme
    Introduce a Tocyn Clod (a ticket to say they have spoken welsh) every member of staff has vouchers and if they hear any children speaking Welsh they are given a Tocyn Clod, the children can then use the Tocyn clod as a point for their house or as a sticker on their chart.
    Thanks in advance, Twist :)

3. I would think that your HT is expecting a daily session of oral welsh about 10 mins to reinforce the language patterns introduced in the main lesson - an hour a week for Yrs 5/6 seems a long session in one go - athrawon bro would not necessarily promote such a long session in one go - they would also be able to give you langauge patterns to introduce as opposed to Stabec and Bobl Bach which whilst still good are rather dated - the children also need access to reading material in welsh (which could be included in reading sessions in each class); Do you have access to Dylan y Dewin (yr 3), and Bant a Ni (EYs) more up to date resources - the NGfl website also has a lot of resources and if you are in an ESIS school I think their arthrawon bro team have set up a wikispace for Welsh second langauge which support schools in developing Welsh Langauge development across the school.If you are taking a topic approach in KS2 the language patterns could be incorporated into those themes.
    With regard to your assemblies - I would have thought it should be more regular than once a term - once a month or even once a week sounds more reasonable.

Pob Lwc

4. We have timetabled, daily helpwr heddiw sessions of 10 minutes. This is vital to ensure that you keep drip...drip...drip going over patterns, phrases and vocab that they don't hear in the unit of work they are covering at the time. All teacher have a record of the key phrases and words covered so far by the children so they are included in the helpwr heddiw vocab to be covered. This is not to replace the curriculum time devoted to the subject, but to complement it.
    Our Athrowen Bro want each school to have an hour and a half Welsh weekly in addition to the helpwr heddiw sessions, but they can dream on! We manage an hour. The welsh sessions in our school are split so we cover them in half hour sessions. Shorter, but more often is better than an hour a week as there is less time in between to forget what has been covered.
    Having an assembly once a week with a welsh hymn is good. We have several that are welsh 'versions' of the english ones we sing so the children are already familiar with the tune.
    Our lunchtime and home time prayers are in Welsh. At one point the children could recite the Lord's Prayer in Welsh, but we have let that slip a bit and they can't do it any more.
    We have tocyn clod. The children are introduced to a key phrase once a week and earn the tocynnau if they are heard using it, or using any other questions. They ask for the toilet in welsh, are expected to say diolch if someone gives them something and to reply croeso if someone says it to them. Weekly totals are announced in assembly, the winning house receives extra housepoints and the winning class earn 5 mins extra playtime on a day when their teacher is on duty.
    Each class has a Welsh display to support the work they are doing and they are supposed to have a "corporate identity" and be in the colours of the Welsh flag. We have signs all around the school in Welsh.
    It seems like a lot when I write it all down, but we have added things a bit at a time.

5. Oh, and as teachers we have a list of the expected phrases that we are supposed to use incidentally through our teaching. This list increases as you get up the school. There is the expectation to use as much as you can in addition to the list. E.g. if you are going to mention a colour of a post it, then use the welsh for the colour.
    On our lesson planning sheets for whenever we are observed there is a box for curriculum cymraeg and the observer has a comment for the incidental Welsh used.
    None of our staff are welsh first language, inc the coordinator, but once you learn the phrases it is easy to use them.

6. Try the Foreign Legion method to introduce vocabulary:
    "Qu'est-que c'est? C'est une espade, mon chef!"
    For example: Food Technology, or whatever cookery is called these days:
    Teacher holds up a potato -
    "Who can tell me what this is in Welsh? Da iawn: tatw. And this? Ie, moronen..."