1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Developing listening skills in year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by acr, Aug 1, 2012.

1. acr

acr

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone knows the publisher/ where I can get a copy of a scheme published back in 1994 which consists of worksheets the children colour/ decorate in response to a 'script' the class teacher reads out. I only have some sheets left from a teaching practice (teacher long since retitred) the only clues are
    'Time to Listen' and 'An apple for the teacher'.I have searched the web for an hour- to no avail! so hoping someone may know some more so I can get a copy!
    Many Thanks!!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sorry I have no idea about the book or a scheme, but there are oddments on various websites.

When I saw the thread title I assumed you were going to ask for ideas, and this was the sort of thing I had in mind to suggest. I'd love a book of them!

You can make them up as well.

3. I don't know of the scheme you mention but an alternative would be "Start Listening" from Easylearn. I have hard copies of both books in the set but they are only available as downloads from the website now. Each book can be bought separately but it is cheaper to buy them together.

Book A: colouring and drawing to instruction, and identifying whether or not sentences are reasonable.
    Book B: uses sentences and stories to focus on auditory memory.

I've used them with individual children and a small group but they would work just as well with a whole class. Here's a link to Easylearn's website:

http://www.easylearn.co.uk/index.php?option=com_productbuilder&Itemid=21&layout=non-editable-bundle&pb_product_id=16&view=pbproducts

4. Sorry about the paragraphs disappearing in my last post and the link not working for some reason. It might be easier just to type the address www.easylearn.co.uk and search for the pack instead if you are interested.

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

When I taught year 1, I used to use Helping Young Children to Listen by Ros Bayley and Lynn Broadbent.
    It's a spiral bound book with a little cuddly leopard called Lola. The first few pages have Lola's rules for good listening (I photocopied and laminated these, and we went through them at the beginning of each session), and then there were loads of ideas for listening games.
    [​IMG]

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Do you have a speech therapist working with any children in your school? One of the children in my class last year was statemented for speech and language difficulties. We were given loads of sheets to improve her receptive language. She worked through them individually with her INA, but they could also be used with small groups.
    Also, has your school registered for Language Link? It's aimed at Reception children,but the website has printables that you could use in Year 1.

7. Did you ever find this? I know which you mean. I have a photocopied version for Maths Learning Skills dated 1999. I use them with my low ability Year 7 class but would really like either the original book or an online version as some pages are not photocopied very well.

8. I think you are after the 'Listening Skills' series that are available on the teaching times website

teachingtimesbookshop.co.uk/.../listening-skills-for-early-years

They do them for EY/KS1/KS2 and also some maths based ones. The 'Time to Listen (apple for teacher)' book is an american resource and aimed at older children (maybe upper KS2).

9. lmn7

lmn7 New commenter

Hi I don't know if you have managed to find this by now. If not I have a photocopied pack if you would like to have it

10. chstephs1

chstephs1 New commenter

Hi,
    I have just seen your message. I too have been looking for this text. Would you be able to send me a copy of this book- Time to Listen 2=- An apple for the Teacher.
    Thank you

11. ld7675

ld7675 New commenter

This sounds a bit like the Black Sheep resources I used every now and again as an SEN TA before I trained to teach. Is that still a thing?

12. sdawson99

sdawson99 New commenter

I don't suppose you still have a copy of the book at all - I can't find it anywhere online. Time to Listen 2=- An apple for the Teacher.

Thanks

13. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

I can thoroughly recommend teachingpacks.co.uk. I never pay for anything usually, but I paid for this and have never regretted it. The packs are just terrrific! And one of the best is a really good Listening Skills pack, which sounds like just the thing you are looking for - a series of excellent draw-what-you-hear grids with mp3s and answer sheets, as well as loads of posters, worksheets and games. You can preview it at https://www.teachingpacks.co.uk/the-listening-skills-pack/ - all of the resources are listed, and there is an introductory video.

14. kechelle

kechelle New commenter

Hello,
    I have desperately been trying to find this book so if there is still a copy available somewhere I would be very interested trying to get a copy.
    Thanks

15. BEECHVIEWBABE

BEECHVIEWBABE New commenter

I know this post is quite old now but I would really appreciate if you could send me a copy of the script which goes with the 1994 An Apple for the Teacher pack. Me email address is kennedyjacqui@live.co.uk Many thanks!

16. LouiseB77

LouiseB77 New commenter

Hi I am looking for the same book and wondered if you could email me copy it I would be very gratefull my email address is Lbrear@sbsj.co.uk

17. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Thank you for resurrecting this thread (again), pupils developing better listening skills was an issue raised at a governors meeting last night.