1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Developing Ipad / Ipod / Iphone apps

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by apmcarthur, Feb 5, 2012.

1. I'm thinking about starting to learn app development... Can anyone suggest some simple software to get me started?

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

If you have a Mac the development kit is a free download, as is the Programmers Reference Manual. Not easy though.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

stencylworks appears to be the weapon of choice to get most people started but once again I don't think it looks easy. It might have a scratch style interface, but at first glance it seems you just really get to edit the template games you get given. I think a lot on on here are all going "yay lets do apps for mobile phones" but they don't seem to realise that its going to take a lot of skill and ability to do anything meaningful. I am waiting for MIT to bring out the rejigged version of google app inventor myself

4. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

The problem with apps (for all platforms) is that because they have a fairly simple interface, many think that they are easy to build/program - believe me they are not.
    Yes you can quickly build a very simple "display and click" app.
    But anything beyond this requires not only hours of work but also a fair amount of technical skills and programming nous
    I'm currently building app versions of some old Flash educational activities
    The orginal versions look very simple but hide a great deal of sophisticated coding and each took around about 100 hours to build and test.
    I reckon the new versions will take at least this long and chats on app developer forums tell me that is reasonable
    To put that intio some perspective - at one hour a week you would have to devote the whole of your ks3 lessons for 3 years to make one reasonably sophisticated app
    By all means show kids how it is done; build a couple of basic apps but don't think you are going to build anything remotely as sophisticated as one scene from Angry Birds
    And don't forget, if Gove is wittering on about apps then they really are this year's "hoola hoop"

5. Thanks for that - I may quote you!

6. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

Completely agree. This is what anyone who has never programmed anything assumes about creating applications (Gove included as it seems he is expecting some pretty outstanding things from a bunch of teenagers working 50 minutes a week). Creating any app worth it's salt is a life consuming activity

7. What they all said:
    First learn to program - not anything with a gui, just plain old programming. C is a good place for ios development as objective C is a (loose) offshoot of C. Although I use python for lessons I think Pascal would be a good bet if you can't write any code. Stay away from VB, anything with winforms, Delphi etc. as you need to be able to code plain and simple.
    Next for ios buy a mac.
    Learn and understand the MVC concept.
    Finally learn Objective C, the cocoa and cocoa touch libraries and getprogramming.

8. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

And come back 8 years later and let us know how you got on.

Sorry to be cynical :)