1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Detoxifying footpads. Do they work?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by delmamerchant, Apr 6, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

In an attempt to return back to school looking and feeling like a new person, I have been detoxifying using detoxifying footpads.

They are supposed to absorb all the waste/toxins in your body:you place them on your feet overnight. so to begin with the pads are quite dark in the morning and then should get lighter to show that the toxins are being removed from your body. Third day in and they were darker than ever this morning. Have I bought colour changing pads or do they really work?:eek::(

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Moony likes this.
  3. wecanbeheroes

wecanbeheroes Occasional commenter

Your body heat makes them change colour.

Hypercolor t-shirts back in the 90s worked on the same principle.

4. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I knew there was something not quite right but a bit suspect. I guess they work on the placebo effect. Well my placebo was not affected:)

bonxie likes this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Shame they seem to be rubbish - I was tempted to give it a go, sounds like a very easy way to detoxify! Much easier than drinking cabbage water or only eating grapes for a week! Then there's the coffee enemas I've read about ....!!!

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

No, of course those stupid footpads don't do anything. Exactly what do you think they are doing? What "toxins" do you think leave your body at night through your feet and stain things? Are you serious?

there is no such thing as "detoxify". It is beyond comprehension that supposedly educated people buy into this fiction. Why?

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I guess it's because those of us who wage a constant war with our weight are influenced by the media and ads which tell us 'detoxifying will kick start your diet' or 'help you to burn fat' - it's called clutching at straws!

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I posted a reply to this a while back, but it doesn't appear to have sent.

I tend to disagree with the idea that detoxing, as a rule, is nonsense or 'clutching a straws very much depends on the claims the products are making, and on how you are using them.

I don't know anything about the footpads mentioned by the OP, but I do know about other detoxifying products that do work and have many benefits. I imagine the footpads are a twist on the ancient beliefs that the feet hold the key to our health and that any issues we have can be treated through treating the feet appropriately. I've certainly had foot spa treatments that demonstrating a definite effect on my body: I placed my feet into foot spa that contained clear water and some sort of device, and 20 minutes later removed my feet from dirty brown water with floating bits of black blobs and fatty-looking oils. I felt lighter overall and after several treatments, in additional to cutting out caffeine, I felt a LOT better, plus the water was cleaner at the end of each treatment.

I work in the cosmetics industry now, and the company I work with has a great detox oil for bathing and massaging, in addition to other products that aid the body. We do not suggest you get instant weight-loss, nor that they replace a healthy and balanced diet, but I've used the products myself very regularly and they do work and did result in inch-loss and quite significant weightloss (7lbs in 3 weeks, with no significant changes to activity or diet).

I'm sure some people would argue that I lost weight for other reasons. Or that the simple action of massaging my tummy made the difference. But if that was the case, I'd also get the same benefits from using any old oil, which doesn't happen (I do have several different oils, but only one that claims to detoxify, and that's the one that works).

People are very cynical about advances in skin care and body care. Some products are gimmicks, but only because they do not contain quality ingredients at that right levels. Those products which DO contain the right ingredients do have many benefits.

But hey, if someone refuses to believe that we can put a man on the moon but can't design a product to aid digestion...feel free to wrinkle and rot. :)

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

any product containing salt is going to "tone" you and "help you lose weight", but you are only losing water, not body mass, and it isn't helpful, or healthy. Again, what "toxins" do you think are swimming around in your body, exactly!

( and do you work for forever living.........)

10. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Eva-Smith, I'd be very interested in reading any peer reviewed evidence from independent scientific studies of 'the right ingredients' and their 'many benefits'. Exactly what are these 'toxins' that are being removed? Which chemicals do the removing? How do these chemicals work? Why would it be best that these 'toxins' are removed via the skin of the tummy or the feet? Why not the skin of the right earlobe or the left armpit?

You may believe that the 'great detox oil for bathing and massaging' that the company you work with is selling is fantastic, but one person's anecdotal evidence does not constitute scientific evidence that it is effective.

dunnocks likes this.
  11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I'm genuinely confused and bewildered by the idea that all of these posts are from educated professionals

12. fantastischfish

No, I don't work for Forever Living. The brand i work for sells in Harrods and in spas.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

sounds very much along the same lines.....

What toxins are you talking about though? You haven't answered. What toxins do you think you are getting out, how do you think your cosmetic stuff is getting toxins out?

Cos there aren't any, and it isn't....

14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

unless you are talking about cocaine addiction? That's all really, if you are a drug addict, or if you have swallowed lethal poison, then you could legitimately use the word "detox" as in emergency medical treatment.... otherwise, no

15. fantastischfish

Quite. But we're not talking about one person's anecdotal evidence here. We're talking about a reputable company with decades of experiences in cosmetics and health/wellbeing.

We're also not talking about chemicals or medical grade products. Just nature-given ingredients that have been used for centuries. Essential oils, ingredients derived from fruits, vegetables and plants, herbs and spices can all have beneficial qualities when ingested and when applied topically to the skin. There's a vast amount of derma-science that backs it up.

Let me be clear, that I have never suggested that any cosmetic grade product should replace medical care. However, homeopathic and cosmetic solutions do have merit, and if some people find comfort, health and wellbeing in their use, I don't think it's anyone's place to mock.

And I will re-iterate that I do not work for Forever Living. However, since I'm not here to advertise, merely to discuss, I would be happy to let anyone know the company I work with in a private message should you be curious.

16. fantastischfish

I'm sorry, I don't feel the need to respond to someone as judgemental as you. I also respect the company I work with and the people who own it, so I'm not prepared to name it here so that you can rake their name through the mud despite knowing nothing about them. If you'd like to know privately, feel free to message me.

17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

This just takes the biscuit.

Really!!!

You use the word "nature" as if that concludes the argument.

I gather from this you are not a biologist, nor someone who has any knowledge or understanding of "nature" at all!

Plants, essential oils, ingredients derived from fruits, vegetables and plants, herbs and spices are far more likely to be toxic than beneficial. There is no actual definition of "natural" it is just a word used as an advertising gimmick.

Your statements are totally without any context or meaning!

And the reason you are not naming any toxins, or any chemicals which can "detox" a human, is because neither exist!

And yes you do work for "forever living" generically, as in someone so similar as to be indistinguishable!

18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no, you are not responding because you have absolutely zero answer, and I don't need to know the name of your company thank you, there are thousands of these set ups, and many have a respectable facade, but they are all the same underneath. Pseudoscience, slick advertising, and a total con.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  19. fantastischfish

You can keep mentioning Forever Living if you want to (I'm sure they appreciate the free advertising). But I don't work for them. And the company I work with is extremely different from them. The very fact that I'm making no attempt to sell products, recruit anyone, or even mention the name of my company tells you that straight away. I have no need of it; I don't need to find strangers on the internet and convince them to buy products from me.

You seem like a rather aggressive and argumentative person. You could argue that, since you have no idea whom I work with (and appear unwilling to take up my invitation to discuss it privately) that YOU are the one without context.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  20. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

you are welcome to send me the details of who you work for if you want to, but I can tell you without looking that their claims are total nonsense!