1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Determining final grades

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by greggregsongroup, Apr 6, 2020.

1. greggregsongroup

greggregsongroup New commenter

With many schools operating remotely now, Im interested in knowing what procedures/policies you'll have in place as a school. Will many simply be sticking with their results before the school shut down, or are there efforts to bring in some sort of assessment remotely? This is a discussion many schools in Kuwait are having at the moment. I'm interested in learning how schools are attempting to introduce assessment and how so.

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

What do mean by 'sticking with results'? What results? We are doing assessments online as and when individual departments want to do them but I can't imagine they'll count for much.

And just know I really appreciate your username

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I’m doing online assessments and will base my grades on them. Not ideal, but ....

4. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I will use what I had before school finished unless directed to otherwise. The students have made cheating into an art form. An online assessment done at home would not work.

5. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Our GCSEs are 50% coursework, which was done already. Then we have mocks from Jan, plus our trackers from 2 years' worth of classwork. So that is the base I'm working from. Students have been doing work online since we shut down, so that may go towards it. A couple have improved significantly since the mock, so online work may play a role in justifying this.

6. miketribe

I think it IS possible to set work online that it is difficult to cheat on. For example, I'm setting IB History Paper 1 type tests with time limits. The test appears and 80 minutes later, it disappears. If students try to use notes, or the internet, or books, then they won't have time to finish...
    Again, I sometimes set research essays to be done within a time limit. If you word your question carefully enough and pass the resulting essays through turnitin.com, the results should be reliable enough to use.
    I also have them include an Honor Code pledge at the beginning of the work. I don't suppose that makes a great deal of difference, but if they DO get caught by turnitin.com after the signed the pledge, there are quite draconian sanctions...

7. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

This online system with a timer seems interesting. What platform/website is this through?

8. miketribe

Google Classroom...

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You can also do it through Teams I believe

10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Open note assessments are also an option. If we’re interested in students’ ability to analyze, or write, or tackle a novel challenge, it doesn’t matter so much if they look up what the date was for the Normandy invasion.
    Gives a level playing field.
    And requires the teacher to take care in writing an assessment where looking things up won’t get the job done on its own.

11. miketribe

"Again, I sometimes set research essays to be done within a time limit. If you word your question carefully enough and pass the resulting essays through turnitin.com, the results should be reliable enough to use."

What gulfgulf says is totally correct, but the reason I ALSO set timed assignments is that I'm supposed to be preparing the students for the IB exams and I've noticed that a significant proportion of the class has real problems with pacing their answers so they can complete the assignment under timed conditions. I think what's needed is a mixture of different assessments. I also have a rubric for grading Socratic seminars which I also count as summative assessments in ToK, although I don't weight them as heavily as other assessments...

dippit and gulfgolf like this.
  12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I agree about still making them timed. I don’t mind students being able to double check details, but I don’t want them to have enough time to tackle something they weren’t already pretty prepared for.

13. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Given the different approaches internationally it's clear that the results given are not going to be on a level playing field. I think all exams should be post poned until November. If it interferes with the the next year of schooling than so be it...schools will have to contract that year. But this mish mash of methods for giving a grade isn't right at all.

14. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

That might work for GCSE students (though it would be awful).... but what of A Level/ IB Diploma students? You'd ask them to delay starting their University careers for 6 months to a year? Where does that leave the Universities? No new students Oct 2020, then a massive intake in Oct 2021 as the curent Y12 compete with the current Y13 for places? What of those students who are in countries where the National equivalent exams have not been cancelled? Their peers in the state-sector get to move on with their lives while the other, through no fault of their own, have to wait a year in limbo? How will schools timetable having an extra cohort of students for 3 months?

You're right, this mish mash isn't right at all. But what you are suggesting would mess up so many people's lives and livelihoods it would be even worse....Better some students are given over-generous GCSE results than their 2020 A level results are compromised by the fact they missed 3 months of teaching by taking their GCSEs in Nov. Better some students get inflated A levels than Universities have to furlough staff for 6 months as they have no first year students.

15. greggregsongroup

hehe.

And they shouldn't count for much. It is impossible from a pedagogical standpoint to judge all students on the same criterion as if the school year were to complete its course. Every child has a different set of circumstances relating to the level of their participation.

16. greggregsongroup

It seems as though many schools have taken the decision to have no assessments during this period and instead rely on teacher judgement for grading.

But this then begs the question- What happens to end of year REPORTS? Have any schools taken steps in terms of how the EOY reports are to be presented to parents?

17. miketribe

There’s a thing called exam.net that I’m going to try out.... it looks pretty good, but the proof of the pudding....

18. miketribe

I've just tried setting up a test using exam.net and it seems pretty user friendly and has all sort of anti-cheating features built in. I would encourage anyone who wants to continue giving assessments to check it out...

19. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Mike - isn’t it exactly the same as the locked Google Form? As in you cannot access anything else on that pc while doing the test?
    As they are doing this at home what’s to stop them logging onto the exam, and then their tutor/parents do the exam, or have a second device to look up the answers?

20. miketribe

You tell them to turn on the camera and leave it on and watch them through the exam just as you would in the classroom. Smart, dishonest kids will ALWAYS find ways to cheat, be-it in class or online, but this system does seem to make it more difficult.