1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Detentions

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by thefootballwitch, Dec 28, 2010.

1. I've got a few kids coming for a lunchtime detention during the first week back (for not doing/handing in their homework). This is a standard consequence in my placement school.
    Any suggestions as to what I should get them to do during the detention? I'm only intending that they stay for about 5 mins - does that seem appropriate? (Their lesson is just before lunch so they will be kept after the lesson, I won't have to wait for them all to arrive).

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

They should do the homework that they missed.
    5 min is too short, 10min min

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Detentions for lack of homework should go thus:
    1) Get the pupils to explain why they think the homework was set, and why homework is important
    2) Confirmation/reinforcement by the teacher of why THIS homework was set and why homework in general is set.
    3) A reminder of what the homework was, and a reminder that if the student is every unsure of what to do at home, they should come to see you in X place and Y times throughout the day. Homework should not be left until the night before its due in. If it's set on Monday for Thursday, an attempt should be made on Monday night, to allow for the pupils asking for help on Tuesday and Wednesday if needed.
    4) The teacher should use the final couple of minutes to explain what they now expect (the missing homework to be completed, all future homework on time or there will be XYZ punishments). Then before the children leave, ensure they know that there's now a clean slate.
    This is how I do it, and it seems to be fairly effective.

4. Thanks for that, I'll increase it to 10 mins.
    Most of them have done their homework already, but they didn't hand it in when they were supposed to (despite it being their regular homework day/having it written in their planners/me standing at the front of the class asking them to hand it in/and a pupil going round collecting the books...they still claim that it's unfair that they've got a detention, what else am I supposed to do - make house calls and collect their books individually???) But, as they've done it already, I still need something for them to do during detention.

5. Thanks Eva [​IMG] That's really useful.

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

They should do the homework they missed in addition to the detention.

Otherwise they've learnt that not doing your homework can, at worst, result in, well, having to do it.

i.e. "heads I win, tails we draw."

There's then no incentive for them to do the homework - if you don't follow up for any reason, then they've got out of it for good and if you do follow up, then they've not actually lost anything..

There does need to be an actual penalty.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I agree with Eva in playing the new start etc...
    I always was a bit soft though and every pupil had <u>one</u> chance to 'forget' their homework, it still had to be in but they had a weeks grace. The pupils liked this as they found it was a fair system as none of us are perfect - I forgot my whole handbag on one dizzy day and used that as my one chance, they thought it was hilarious [​IMG] . Only 2/3 ever tried to push their luck. x