1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DET Level 5 online course help!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Aw7809, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Aw7809

Aw7809 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am a struggling trainee who has to complete the DET level 5 qualification to continue my contract.
    I have been working on an online course but am struggling a lot as I am not all that academically minded (Motorcycle Lecturer!) and writing essay's is incredibly tough for me.
    Has anyone completed or working towards this that could take pity on me and help?!

Thank you all in advance, i'm pulling my hair out!

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Why is it an online course?? Most colleges have teaching sessions to cover DETs. Most colleges have a teaching and Learning sector which observes trainee teachers (and qualified ones) and offers targets for improvement.
    Do you have a mentor who can help? Are there any other DETs trainees in your college - there's bound to be but you probably have not met them. You need to make contact with them so that you can share ideas and support each other.
    Do you have a reading list? Geoff Petty is useful.
    If you can post the essay title or what you need to cover someone on here may be able to help you.
    Essay = Introduction stating what you are going to do, paragraphs on each subject/topic which you are covering, conclusion stating what you have done.

3. Aw7809

Aw7809 New commenter

Unfortunately I have to pay for my course and could not afford to do it with the college i work at (£5400) so had to opt for an online course (£995) and as such am now completely stuck with everyone here making me feel like **** for not doing their course...

I have Geoff Petty's Teaching today as well as "The complete guide to the DET level 5" course book but nothing so far has helped me start.

I was supposed to be given a mentor but they gave up once i opted for the online course. I really have been thrown to the lions in this job. I had no experience teaching at all but on my second day and each day since, have been teaching solo.

Its enough to want to pack it all in and go back to industry.

as for the essays, I have a list of them (32 in total) which have the most brief and horrifically worded tasks possible that all seem very vague. I struggle to even start and I have been given the mark scheme for it!

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

You really have been given the sticky end of the stick. It sounds a pretty sticky college too. Most colleges train their staff free of charge. I believe the government re-imburses them. Some colleges even pay their student teacher for attending the training sessions. I did PGCE, by the way, which cost a lot more, but will (not) be paid back at my leisure.

You should have a mentor even if you are doing the online course. Is there anyone in your department who can help and advise you? You will have students who are studying GCSE English as part of their course. Find out who their English teachers are, contact someone nice in the English department. They will have a degree and either DETs or a PGCE, hopefully, they will be able to help you. Bear in mind that they will be very busy until the end of May. Oh yes, and teachers usually complete CETs before DETs. They spend 1 year doing CETs and 1 year doing DETs. You're not trying to run before you can walk are you?

Do you have a reading list beyond what you have already been given? If you post the essay title on here we may be able to help you and point you in the right direction. 32 essays sounds rather a lot. How many words per essay?

I think I only wrote 4 or 5 essays for my PGCE. They were quite easy as we just had to regurgitate what we had studied in Uni, together with a bit of personal experience and reference to academic theory. We had been told which books and articles to refer to with regard to academic theory. There should be a teaching section in your college library with books which will be useful for DETs. Ask the librarian for help.

Keep going. The end is in sight.

5. Hi how are you getting on with this?

I’m in the same boat right now and could do with all the help I could get as well.

6. Aw7809

Aw7809 New commenter

Hi, I have done all of Unit 3 and starting on Unit 2 now. are you using Teacher Assist?

7. kosturr

kosturr New commenter

has any one done a course with study portal as i am not suse if is a safe website or if is accredited,thanks

8. jdean17

jdean17 New commenter

Hey! I am doing the BBE training level 5 DET course and really struggling!
    Perhaps we could all collaborate to help each other?

James