1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DET and QTLS alongside degree

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by morningstar99, Feb 15, 2020.

1. morningstar99

morningstar99 New commenter

I asked for advice, not criticism, I wasn't asking for people to put me off.

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

In your op you asked for advice. You were offered advice. It appears it is not advice you wish to take. It appears that you are of the opinion that you know better than experienced teachers.

Probably don’t ask for advice if what you want is to have your plan validated. That’s not advice.

Good luck.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I suspect that sociology is probably one of the subjects where teachers do sometimes have QTLS rather than QTS, because it is a subject taught more in colleges, and so teachers of the subject may have started out in that sector. So I'm sure it is a possible route.

Things you need to be aware of:
    1) Sociology and other social sciences posts are far less common than other subjects. They do exist, but only in some schools. Sometimes they are part-time posts, and sometimes you are required to teach another subject, because most schools will not have a whole timetable-worth of social sciences. Furthermore, because there is usually only one person teaching the subject, schools will usually want to employ someone who really knows what they are doing. If they can't get experience, they may at least want someone who has done one of the more thorough training routes.

2) Being qualified is very different to getting the job. Technically, QTS qualifies a teacher to teach any age-group and any subject, but that doesn't mean that I would expect to have as good a chance of getting a KS1 post as someone trained to teach that age-group. So just be aware that "parity" does not mean you will necessarily be considered. In particular, if you have to apply to teach something other than social sciences, they may prefer someone trained in that subject and age-group.

3) If you are trying to do a full-time degree and work in schools and study for DET/QTLS, I fear that something will not go as well as it should. If you are usual student age, it's well worth considering taking a little bit longer to get a stronger qualification for your future career.

Your proposed route may turn out to work fine for you, and perhaps trying to do it all at once will be great preparation for the stress of teaching. However we just want to make sure you're aware that there are some potential pitfalls.

morningstar99 and stanley4shoes like this.
  4. morningstar99

morningstar99 New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to comment, this is really helpful, I have spoken to my old secondary school who are happy to help me with this route. I feel like this may be a good start. I'm sure there are ways that may provide me with better opportunities, but at the minute I'm happy with my choice, if it doesn't go to plan then I will know that I made the wrong decision. I may go into teaching English as well as I know social sciences aren't popular across all schools.

Again thank you for your in-depth explanation!

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

The rules for this changed in 2012 as shown here:

GUIDANCE FOR HEADTEACHERS
    Find out how the Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status relates to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for holders teaching in state maintained schools.
    In 1 April 2012 the Department for Education (DfE) changed the law to add QTLS status to the list of qualifications and statuses equivalent to QTS. This change followed a recommendation from the 2011 Review of Vocational Education.

The two sets of regulations were amended included the following:

The impact of these changes on you as an employer
    As an employer of teachers within state maintained schools you are able, and we encourage you to, recruit from a wider pool of qualified teachers for positions in both primary and secondary schools. The Department for Education (DfE) has outlined what these changes mean for employers in its Teachers’ Standards document, and on the Gov.uk website, which states as follows:

• "If you have QTLS status and membership with the Education and Training Foundation (ETF), you will be eligible to work as a qualified teacher in schools in England."

• "Since 1 April 2012, further education teachers who have been awarded QTLS by the Society for Education and Training and are members, are recognised as qualified teachers in schools."

This will allow them to be appointed to permanent posts in state maintained schools in England and they will be paid on the qualified teachers’ pay scale. They will continue to be recognised as qualified school teachers providing they remain registered as members of the Society for Education and Training.

• "QTLS holders, as is the case for all holders of QTS, will be allowed to teach both curriculum and non-curriculum subjects in schools and across the breadth of school ages."

• "A person with QTLS status and membership of SET will automatically be recognised as a qualified teacher in schools. There is no need for them to apply to the Teaching Agency for QTS. A certificate from the Foundation is sufficient evidence."

• "QTLS holders will be exempt from serving statutory induction and will not be required to complete a statutory induction period in schools. This is because QTLS holders have already completed a period of teaching and professional formation, verified by the Institute for Learning/ Foundation which bridges the gap between initial teacher training and employment as a practising teacher."

• "Under the 2012 regulations, the performance of teachers will be assessed against their objectives and against the relevant standards. All teachers except for QTLS holders will be assessed against the Teachers’ Standards that were published by the Secretary of State in July 2011

As a headteacher I was aware of this but didn’t know of any teachers employed in primary schools with QTLS. It might have happened more often in secondary schools.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

it doesn't really happen in my experience