1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DET and QTLS alongside degree

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by morningstar99, Feb 15, 2020.

1. morningstar99

morningstar99 New commenter

https://set.et-foundation.co.uk/pro...teacher-educators/guidance-for-headteachers/#

I have had contact with many schools and they have made it clear that I would be suitable without QTS. QTLS may be a different approach but I can still get the same end result.

2. morningstar99

I have looked at the routes available to me and have been in contact with relevant employers and have been told that this is a suitable route.

3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Suit yourself. You don't want to listen to advice and experience. I am fully aware of SET and it's limitations, you are not but hey ho, you keep paying your money and see where you go from here.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

As I said, I think you are being badly mislead. I have colleagues with QTS and with QTLS. The ones with QTLS are not teaching in secondary schools, and not being paid as qualified teachers. The ones with QTS are

5. Corvuscorax

exactly

6. morningstar99

I'm sure that SET would not mislead people like that and the website states that that shouldn't be the case. I'm sure I'll get somewhere, whether people agree or not.

7. morningstar99

I have had a lot of input from people with advice and experience, I just feel that maybe some should be open to the idea, I think that maybe this route is looked for more in some areas than others.

8. Corvuscorax

its not "looked for" at all, its second choice, and with unqualified rate pay scales.

Wise up, you won't even be on the register of qualified teachers. How are you going to apply for secondary school jobs?

9. Corvuscorax

open to the idea of what? We know of QTLS is, and what you can do with it. More than you do. Your website says "legal parity to QTS ". What does that even mean?

You need to get yourself into a union. If you are working in a school, I hope you have done so already. If not , do it today. And while you are at it, you can ask the about your plan

10. phatsals

It means IF you can secure a post you could be employed on the Qualified Teacher scale.

The difficulty is in getting the post.

QTS - lifelong, no further fee.
    QTLS - £500 initially; to maintain registration, keep on paying.

Now which one should I choose?

11. morningstar99

By 'looked for' I mean more promoted more this is a route that is possible and recognised but differs from the traditional route, I have spent plenty of time going over this.

12. morningstar99

I can still gain QTS in the future, so why does it matter? QTLS is a start.

13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

re QLTS
    ? Later on you obviously recognise it as a qualification
    My son has taught for the past 2 years at a Higher Ed College in two subjects which aren't taught in Schools, but as part of apprenticeship schemes and are directly related to future career paths. And he's now been made up to Senior Lecturer and will study for a full teaching degree, because it opens up more career responsibilities for him and lends itself to teaching adults too.

Sundaytrekker and morningstar99 like this.
  14. morningstar99

Thank you, I'm glad to hear of someone else's experience! All the best for your son!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. phatsals

Which is teaching in Post-compulsory education. Not the same as aiming to teach in schools via DET, level 5 and QTLS.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Corvuscorax

its a status, not a qualification. I don't think its a qualification. But anyway, exactly how it is defined is not really important.

17. phatsals

In short, it has parallels with QTS. It is important as it's the difference between being paid on the Qualified or Unqualified payscale, be this in mainstream or post-compulsory.

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Maybe ask on the Headteacher forum as to whether they would employ someone with QTLS on the same terms as someone with QTS, they are the ones you would need to convince!

19. morningstar99

20. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

it appears when you asked for advice you didn't want advice but to tell us all what a wonderful shortcut you've found.

I hope it works out for you, but I'd suggest you listen to folk expressing concern.