1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DET and QTLS alongside degree

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by morningstar99, Feb 15, 2020.

1. morningstar99

morningstar99 New commenter

I am currently in the second year of my sociology degree. I have just started the Level 5 Diploma in Education and in Training and after this, I will work towards my QTLS. This means that when I graduate I will be qualified to teach in schools across the UK, as QTLS (by law) has parity with QTS.

To gain experience for my diploma I am working as a cover supervisor and will be teaching some lessons in my old secondary school. I am aiming to teach social sciences and/or English at secondary school.

Any advice?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You may be "qualified", but that doesn't guarantee you a job. I suspect you'll find it rather easier to get an English post if you do an 11-18 training route. Social sciences aren't taught much below sixth form.

3. goffara

goffara New commenter

You are better off teaching English as the previous commenter replied. English is a core subject, there is demand for teacher of English at secondary Sixth Form schools to teach at KS3,KS4 & KS5.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I don't think QTLS is a qualification as such, is it? It is related to post 16. I don't think you can use it in secondary schools. You can work as an unquailified teacher or cover supervisor though

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I sincerely hope it is as my son works in Higher Ed. and is currently studying.

6. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Some strange shortcuts here. 2nd year undergraduate, and studying DET and working as a CS and teaching some classes?

Then, by magic next year QTLS with a hope to teach English in a secondary school, with a sociology degree?

Could I suggest you graduate first. No school in their right mind would let you teach any class at the moment, you are, so far, two and a half years behind any NQT.

I admire your ambition, but you need to take stock of the job market. What do schools want?

7. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

why are you following this route rather than focus on your degree now and complete a PGCE and ITE afterwards?

Expecting a school to accept you to teach sixth form straight from a bachelor's degree with a qualification that requires 100 HOURS of teaching seems unrealistic when those with QTS have to have 120 DAYS in school prior to gaining QTS and will have spent most of a year teaching and training across the key stages, rather than just post 16.

8. Corvuscorax

Is it? I thought it was a work book,record of achievement type thing?

9. morningstar99

The secondary school I attended teaches social sciences from year nine up.

10. morningstar99

I have spoken to my old secondary school and they do not see a problem with this, as by the time I graduate I will have experience. Why would I wait till I graduate then add another £9,250 debt and do a PGCE?

11. morningstar99

By law QTLS has parity with QTS, this is according to the society of education and training.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. morningstar99

You are qualified to work in schools across the UK teaching both National Curriculum and non-curriculum subjects.

13. morningstar99

So I'm spending 3 days a week for 2 years working as a cover supervisor and then will be teaching in my old secondary school (as my teacher has agreed that she is happy to do my 8 hours observations) so why should I have QTLS be a negative thing if it has parity with QTS? I have worked so hard throughout university and if this route is available why shouldn't I take the opportunity?

14. morningstar99

My degree is majoring in sociology so I will be able to teach social sciences, which is where I would rather be, English is a backup plan. I am aware that some schools only teach social sciences in sixth form, but the secondary I attended teaches them from year 9.

15. Corvuscorax

I don't know what you mean by "parity with QTS"?

Its not the same, it doesn't lead to the same career, you would be an unqualified teacher, like a TA, or a cover supervisor.

Its mostly used in post 16, for teaching BTEC and vocational, isn't it?

16. morningstar99

Parity means it is by law the same as QTS. You can teach across the UK in mainstream secondary school and its not BTEC and vocational. I will be teaching GCSE and A-Level. The society of education and training mention that employers should employ anyone with QTLS on the same pay as a teacher (they will not be on the NQT payscale).

17. Corvuscorax

I think you are being mislead. It is worth what an employer says it is worth. There is no law that can compel an employer to accept it. I think you would be better off concentrating on getting a good degree, then doing a PGCE and getting QTS, if thats what you want to do. I've no doubt you could get plenty of experience being a cover supervisor, but if you want to be paid as a teacher, then train as a teacher.

18. morningstar99

https://set.et-foundation.co.uk/pro...teacher-educators/guidance-for-headteachers/#

I am getting a good degree I am on track to graduate with a 2:1. I will be gaining teaching experience in my subject as well as being a cover supervisor.

19. phatsals

Look at it like this, an employer in a state school has the option of a graduate with PGCE and QTS or a graduate with DET and QTLS. One has initially 120 days school teaching across 2 key stages and 2 subjects, the other has 100 hours wherever. DET and QTLS are aimed at post-compulsory education.

You're ambition is admirable but limited. You're trying too many shortcuts, you haven't even graduated.

You may think you've spotted a super shortcut to a teaching post in schools, but have you even looked at the job market, what schools are actually looking for? You may get a job in FE but your chances of being employed in a school are pretty near none existent.

My PGCE with QTS was in social sciences.

20. phatsals

You would be better getting a place on SCITT.