1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Destructive headteacher ruining school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Sounds like a new Director of Education in a large LEA I came across many years ago. Couldn't stop talking. There was no way anyone could ever have had a reasoned conversation with the person to change their style as a two way conversation was not possible. A meeting that started before lunch could see the sun setting, and no useful action following it. At the next inspection of the LEA it had to be taken over by a private company. It seemed like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
    If there's no pressure from somewhere on him to leave, you'll have to. Who selected him? Why?

2. R_B

R_B

The govenors have selected this guy. He comes across as a good speaker but he doesn't half go on. The chair of govenors is a not a nice person and somewhat seems bitter all the time. Strange since everyone in the school accomodated her son who was training to become a teacher. He still comes back for experience and always gets a warm welcome,strange really.
    Amazing how one head can destroy morale within 2 weeks, never seen anything like it... Shame really.

3. R_B

R_B

Destructive headteacher dug his own grave and is now gone!!! The mess that he left is incredible. Anyway governors rid of him. A bully and someone who has talked his way to the top.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

5. A lucky escape and I hope that the staff can rally together to mend morale. Good luck. Some are so lucky as to have swift resolution in similar situations.

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Let's hope the governors choose more wisely next time ..... a voluntary aided school I guess?
    I remember when going to first teaching interviews being warned that there would probably be a governor in the room, to look at them as much as possible, answer all their questions very politely and thoroughly, but not expect them to know much about education ..... has this changed?
    It's made me realise that some VA schools can be very dodgy because the governing body is the employer. [​IMG] Waiting for some flack on here.

7. R_B

R_B

Evaluate everything. If it's changes in how you deliver your teaching and the head wants to change it, then evaluate the <u>impact</u> the changes have on the childrens learning. Thats what its about at the end of the day. The head who got the chop at ours didn't care about the children and felt interuppted anytime a child wanted to show him work, what he was doing behind closed doors was questionable because upon his dismissal there was no evidence of school development plan or anything, frightening really. The acting head from another school cannot believe the lack of anything in his office. Nothing there. In the end the children did not want to go to him to show their work. Sad really because thats whats its all about...the children.
    Do evaluations and discuss with your head, find the positives of the changes and develop the weaknesses. He/she should listen unless you had one like ours!
    Goodluck

8. R_B

R_B

The LEA were awful in supporting the crisis that happened within our school(still are) and there lack of judgement in appointing the former destructive headteacher was a terrible decision. They were <font size="3">mesmirised by his talking and not what he did in a previous school. He didn't even look around the school, just applied and turned up for the interview. The LEA thought he was great! Anyone that looks to lead a school and doesn't turn up to look around before applying shouldn't even be considered in my opinion. Anyway, the new governors have assured staff that the same mistake will never be made again. The acting head is superb at the moment, has a clear vision and is all about whats best for the children. Bags of common sense and cares. </font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>