1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dessert ideas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 5, 2012.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm doing the desserts for a family do on Sunday, I need to make them on Friday/Saturday and on Sunday take them on a journey of 2 hours by car. I'm struggling with ideas, any ideas from anyone? 30 adults and 10 kids btw.
    I'm also doing the cakes for tea later, so an Easter cake and some so-called cupcakes.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am also doing lunch on Sunday....but only for 2!
    Dessert will be prepared in advance and I am going all retro!
    Pink Angel Delight. Tinned Manadarins and Dream Topping.
    It is what has been requested, and I will be able to make up the Angel Delight the day before, and whip up the dream topping in the morning. You could just take the packs and enpty serving bowls along for easy travel and whip up the packs in a few minutes.
    Yes, it is a 'cheat' but it is popular with adults who have fond memories of it, and I've yet to meet a child who doesn;t scrape their plate too!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Not really the time or space to do much when I get there as SiL is doing the mains. So it needs to be ready to serve.
    Already got cupcakes and a chocolate sponge taking up room.
    I need something which can be done and completed here, RTS, which will travel. Thinking maybe a Schwartzwalderkirschtorte? But as that contains alcohol, need an alcohol free one.

4. ljr

ljr New commenter

I am doing lunch for 10 on Sunday - roast lamb followed by:Iced berry mousse cake http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/408629/iced-berry-mousse-cake (I know its frozen - would it keep if well wrapped - how far do you have to travel? I often take food in my cool box) and the alternative dessert, because there HAS to be chocolate is: Millionaires chocolate tart - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/402623/millionaires-chocolate-tart. I admit to never having cooked them before but I wanted to try something new and I have never had a Good Food recipe fail. Happy Easter

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'm making my amaretto cheesecake to take to my aunt's on Sunday...not suitable for the sprogs but the adults love it. Recipe is on here somewhere if you are interested.
    mmmm! My favourite!

6. ljr

ljr New commenter

Now you've got me thinking - Black Forest or Millionnaire's Chocolate tart?? Any chance of a link to your recipe for Schwartzwalderkirschtorte Lapin? I've trawled the internet but they all seem to be American - one tells me it takes 72hours - is yours that complicated?

7. I make a rhubarb & marzipan crumble sponge which does travel well as I've taken on a 3 hour drive. You can serve it sliced cold or warm with custard or clotted cream. It's abs. yum. I can type it out for you if it appeals.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Thanks to naughtybutnice for the recipe. Mr BS absolutely loves rhubarb crumble. He was blown away to have his rhubarb baked into a cake with a crunchy crumble top. The marzipan works really well with the rhubarb. I might have to try it with apple too when those are ready.

9. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I've just copied this too Bombay. It sounds really yummy, doesn't it. Thanks for finding it and thank you naughtybutnice for posting it.

10. You could try a German version, which is pretty much what you have done, but you put the rhubard or apple into a custard mix, and then bake with the streusel on top.