1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

desperation

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sum1304, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Is anyone else desperate? I am becoming desperate as I think I will never get a permanent job. I always somehow end up second best. Always the bridemaid never the bride :(.

2. Is anyone else desperate? I am becoming desperate as I think I will never get a permanent job. I always somehow end up second best. Always the bridemaid never the bride :(.

3. You're not alone x

4. I think lots of us have been or are desperate. As much as you may be aware that the job situation for everyone is ridiculously competitive at the moment it's hard not to take it personally when you don't get a job.
    Keep your chin up, get as much experience through doing supply or voluntary work as you can, and find something to do in your spare time that's not to do with teaching (helps keep things in perspective).
    I really hope that you are first choice soon. Good luck.

5. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Think outside of the interview box and the bog standard questions they may ask you. How can you expand on the questions, how can you give them added value, how can you give them a better picture of you than just the day of the interview
    Ask a collegue or fellow tutor to give a verbal reference which can be played on or before your interview. Perhaps with your application.
    Send a video of you actually teaching or carrying out extra curricular activities with your application or take it with you on the day of your interview. Make sure you ask someone to assess your body language and delivery before sending it though.
    Find out from successful teachers what it was they did to secure their posts.
    Every little bit of information helps when you are in competition with others.
    Even quote or make reference to something that the School or Head may have had published sound as if you really want the post. All too often we short sell ourselves, hoping for an opportunity later in the day to make an impact.... sometimes that is too late.
    Good Luck. Hope this helped

6. seems like there are many people in the same situation...getting to the stage now where i think i am never going to get a job! would go teaching abroad but as an NQT this is not an option! do understand your frustration but got to think positive and keep applying, eventually something will come up [​IMG]

7. Thanks all for the encouragement. trying to keep posotive now. Wish all teachers out there in similar position get a job.x

8. I was desperate months on end some time ago, to the point of crying, living like a hermit, and feeling like an utter life failure. However, open your eyes if nothing comes out from teaching, there are always better avenues outside the teaching profession once you have seen the light.