1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Desperation with a Year 9

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by maralex86, Oct 2, 2017.

1. maralex86

maralex86 New commenter

Hi!

I am a NQT MFL teacher and I am really desperate. I have a year 9 group that I can't control... it's a difficult group because I have three students that are in "manage move" and other students with behaviour problems in the school. I know it's not personal but their behaviour in the lesson is awful, they disrespect me, they disrespect each other... I feel I can't control them. I have changed the seating plan but as they have issues between each other, they complain about their seats. They don't follow my instructions and it is impossible to finish a lesson. I have reached a point in which I think they don't respect me and those who want to do something tell me that they wished to have another teacher because I can't control them which made me feel awful and about to cry... I really don't know what to do.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Hello,

Don't feel alone. This can be so upsetting but you must try not to take it personally. Some groups have dynamics that make them really tough to handle. There are lots of things you can try so believe that you can change things. Speak to the students who have said they want to be in another class and reassure them that you will be making changes in the class. Speak to the ones who are misbehaving to say the same.

Speak to as many parents as you need to. It's usually a good (although time consuming) first option as it weeds out those who are generally ok but taking advantage of the poor behaviour of others. Some kids respond well to being told off at home and just give up being rude in your lessons. Then you'll be left with the more difficult ones. The 'managed move' is so tricky because they often feel the need to show off. They come in with the reputation of "bad" and too often live up to it. However, this should also mean they are aware that they are on a route to a PRU and be familiar with the SLT as they'll have had meetings with them prior to their acceptance into your school. Find their PSP and remind them of their targets then explain that you'll need to report their behaviour to SLT. This can sometimes work as they do know they're on their last chance already. Of course these kids usually have reasons for their poor behaviour that aren't necessarily being addressed but they might at least try harder to control themselves in your lessons.

Here are some threads you may find useful for more general behaviour management advice. You will see how many others are struggling with similar problems. There are lots of good ideas to try and I really hope you can make some progress.

https://community.tes.com/threads/supply-and-behaviour.764760/

https://community.tes.com/threads/why-some-teachers-get-so-much-respect-and-others-dont.711611/

https://community.tes.com/threads/advice-please-on-a-yr8-who-cant-be-controlled.747046/

JohnJCazorla, henrypm0 and pepper5 like this.
  3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I don't have much to add to this advice, but please don't think that you are the only one to have a class (or several) that you struggle with. My nqt year was hideous! And even 12 years in, there's always a class or two that are trickier.

Do ask for help in school from your HoD and/or head of year 9 as appropriate. Asking for support is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of wisdom.

In the meantime, to keep those who want to work on-side, can you plan some lessons where students can get on with tasks at their own pace, without much explanation from you? If this means extra photocopying for a few weeks, so be it. Heap praise on those who are achieving, and pay less attention to those who aren't.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. electricsheep

electricsheep New commenter

I always say that teaching is adopting a persona. You just can't be the 'real you' with kids. If you are too nice, they will take advantage, you have to find a way to be firm but fair because the first thing kids will pick up on is unfair treatment. You must always follow through sanctions. Most of all, you have to show them you like them and care about them succeeding or they will torture you if they think you don't want to be there. It's very very hard sometimes with a class from hell but try to ramp up the positive. Too much negative reactionary responses tends to make things go from bad to worse.

pepper5 likes this.