1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Desperately seeking H&S acceptable display cabinets

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by flamejoy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. flamejoy

flamejoy New commenter

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to source glass display cabinets to show work at my school. I'm told Ikea style ones (i've seen used in other schools) are unacceptable due to health and safety!
    I have shelves of students ceramics stuck in my kiln room. So far, I've convinced admin staff to let me create a window-sill gallery space in their offices (can be viewed by all from sch entrance), but students deserve a proper showcase. Premises manager says cabinet must be made of some special safety glass. Not sure our budget will cover something like that :-(
    Any ideas/suggestions?

2. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6141183/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CLiving+room+furniture%7C14418122/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418122%7CDisplay+units+and+glass+cabinets%7C14418129.htm#pdpFullProductInformation
    We have some of these in Reception and Art rooms. Ours are siver not wood though, but I believe the shelves are tempered glass. There is definitely an issue with glass cabinets in corridors, unless they are fixed to the wall, but those tend to be very pricey and rather too shallow for most ceramics work.