1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Desperate to start NQT year

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by a_lovely_person, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I've been doing supply teaching since November 2009 and during that time I have secured 2 1 term placements at 2 different school. Unfortunately neither of these contributed to my NQT induction due to financial constraints.
    I had an interview today and they told me that although I really impressed them I didn't get the job they said not to be downhearted and a school would be lucky to have me on their teaching staff and they invited me to do supply at their school. All I want to do is start my induction. Is being an NQT with a years experience so undesirable?
    Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do so wont be giving up without a fight but the lack of a job, stability and structure is getting me down. I do enjoy doing supply teaching but really want to take the next step on the career ladder.
    Has anyone else found it tough securing their first post?
    Any ideas of things I can do that would make me an irresistable candidate?

2. I've been doing supply teaching since November 2009 and during that time I have secured 2 1 term placements at 2 different school. Unfortunately neither of these contributed to my NQT induction due to financial constraints.
    I had an interview today and they told me that although I really impressed them I didn't get the job they said not to be downhearted and a school would be lucky to have me on their teaching staff and they invited me to do supply at their school. All I want to do is start my induction. Is being an NQT with a years experience so undesirable?
    Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do so wont be giving up without a fight but the lack of a job, stability and structure is getting me down. I do enjoy doing supply teaching but really want to take the next step on the career ladder.
    Has anyone else found it tough securing their first post?
    Any ideas of things I can do that would make me an irresistable candidate?

3. Hi
    Unfortunately you have been let down by some schools. Any 1 term post MUST count towrads induction and 'financial constraints' is no reasonj to not place a NQT on induction. Sadly, time cannot be backdated and you have lost two terms' worth of induction because schools were ignorant of the law. Those schools have now eaten into your 16 month supply limit. You can apply for an extrension to the sixteen months with any LA for whom you would potentially work and given what has happened - schools who broke the law by not placing you on induction, that should be granted without too much trouble.
    If you are offered any supply work that lasts at least a term, please do insist on induction - it is statutory and your legal right. If a school really will not do this then their only option is to employ a teacher not on induction which, of course may be more expensive for them.
    James

4. I wasn't aware that the schools were legally obliged to place me on induction thank you for this information. I have already applied and got extensions for the areas that I do supply in.
    Thank you for your reply
    Laura

5. This is an appalling practice by the schools concerned. You don't need to ask for it: they are legally obliged to put you on induction, and give you all the entitlements as an NQT, such as time off, support for induction and pay for training courses you attend.
    I would drop a line to the LA concerned so that they are aware of what has happened and others may be spared the same dreadful treatment.

6. I am an NQT and I have been doing primary supply since last September. I have fallen foul of the induction problem too - one head called me in (I was there on supply) and told me they loved my application and wanted me for the job - but - couldn`t offer it to me because they simply could not support me. I appreciated their honesty but it is so frustrating - and then they take on unqualified teacher without QTS who does not need to do an induction year. How on earth is this fair on those of us who have worked so hard? Also, supply is supposedly expensive for a school - why not take on a teacher on MPS (cheap) who offers commitment and continuity (the teacher who took the job admitted she was just passing through on her travels) and avoid paying expensive agencies? Doesn`t it at least balance out financially, even including some cover for NQT and PPA time? I am often paid as supply to do PPA cover that I would rather do as a permanent staff member! But I cannot do it on induction! I do it very well as supply! I am confused.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Heads are currently wary about employing staff directly particularly where budget shortfalls will mean they may have to make staff redundant in future. That said I know a lot of Heads go for supply as the easy quick fix option regardless of the quality of the teacher. If you have been working through agencies then they should also bear some responsibility for informing you of the time limits around supply and placing you in schools where you can serve time towards your induction.
    In theory a teacher without QTS should ony be used if a qualified teacher is not available but this is a regulation continually flouted in many schools.
    You should complain to your MP and ask them to take up the issue with the DfE and write to your local press

8. Hi I totally know how you feel and it's awful. I qualified in July 2008 and I have been doing supply work since Septmber 2008 so I am now in my 3rd year. I cannot get anything but daily supply and in Wales there are no teaching jobs what so ever and to be honest the ones that have come up unfortunately have often gone to people they know which I don't agree with.

By the sounds of things you are clearly a great candidate and so don't take it personally. I got really down about the fact that I couldn't get a job initially but I always get loads of supply. Since having spoken to a number of heads and gaining feedback I finally realised it wasn't me! Where i'm from on average each teaching post attracts 200 applications, so how teachers are ment to get jobs is beyond me! If you are willing to move away to some where like London which has so many more opportunities do that so at least you can get your induction done.

9. *minefield

10. Hello. Do not be too upset. I am totally new to this you are in a much better state then I am. I do not even know what steps I have to take to get some practice. Hope someone will guide me.

11. What's your situation?