1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Desperate to leave

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by anon2047, Feb 16, 2012.

1. In the current climate I am mad to want to give up a fixed term contract (started after Christmas) until the Summer...but I do.
    I have posted on here and received loads of advice which has really helped, but there are a lot of issues I am having to deal with in post and feel I am being used and abused. The thought of making it through to Easter when I could resign and do something else was keeping me going, but as the 28th Feb deadline approaches I am really getting upset about the prospect of having to work there for such a long time.
    There are a couple of possibilities that are going to come up for me that I have been told about, but I don't think anything concrete will come up now before the deadline.
    I suppose I am asking one of two things:
    1. Is there anyway I can leave and get a good reference even if I have nothing to go to? I am not envisaging a problem with my work although I do have a very long and expensive commute.
    2. If, as I suspect, I still have to struggle on, what can I do to save my sanity and prevent myself going in to a meltdown? I love teaching but unfortunately I am in the wrong school and although I was desperate to get a position - I have found out to my cost that the wrong school can make you very very unhappy.
    I don't wish to sound negative - I know people who are having a great time - I just wish it was me...
    Thanks
    Jaime

2. jereni

jereni New commenter

Hi Jaime

I moved into teaching several years ago and my NQT year was not a happy year - I had been assigned to some pretty grim sets and support was zero. I desperately wanted to leave too - every day was a struggle. I didn't leave though - it would have been a financial disaster.

You already know that you should stick it, at least until the summer - this looks so much better on your CV. And if you focus on your teaching, this will give you a good chance of getting a good reference.

What can you do to survive? I took as many teaching/CPD courses I could get - the odd day out was great. I badgered the other teachers for help/advice - most teachers are busy people and won't notice or pay too much attention to you unless you ask directly. I also negotiated to drop one day a week from my timetable which made a huge difference.

Good luck

3. Hi
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I know but I do not know if I can last that long.
    They said no!
    I cannot find anyone who is interested. I do not fit in whatsoever no matter how hard I
    try.
    It is a combination of things that are making me unhappy and unfortunately I really do not know how to deal with it.
    Cheers
    Jaime

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Struggle on. After Easter, you can count down lessons until 11s and 13s leave. 12s will probably disappear for a bit. The timetable will be shot to pieces by activities in the lower school. It will all get better. Hanging in there is your best chance of getting something better!

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Is there any reason to think you will not meet the standards to pass induction?

If there are, and as you hate the school so much, I'd go against the grain of advice here and say "do what you can to get out!".

However, if your induction is proceeding well enough to pass, then do what the others are saying.. Count down to Easter and then things really are easier in the summer when the exam year groups vanish and the school has it's summer activity days or whatever your school does.

Assuming you're passing induction, then you really are more than half way there now with the worst of it behind you. And, after July, you never have to set foot in the place again.

6. Thanks for the fast replies.
    No one has said anything either positive or negative as I have just been left to it. i think I'm okay but because nothing has been said I am concerned they might suddenly turn around and throw a spanner in the works.
    I do not teach these groups at all.
    Nothing by the look of the calendar.
    [​IMG]
    To be honest I'm really tempted to chuck it all in and leave at Easter - i do not want to be tied in when there could be the possibility of other jobs that are permanent.
    I really do hate it and do not know how I will survive until mid July :(
    Thanks
    Jaime

7. GloriaSunshine

It is rare for permanent posts to be advertised foran Easter start. Most schools will employ someone on a temporary basis and then appoint someone permanent for September. You have nothing to gain by leaving sooner than your contract ends in terms of employment. You will be in a stronger position for other jobs if you see the contract out.
    If it is unbearable, rather than awful, and you can afford to do so, then leave. Your notice period may be different if you are on a temporary contract but, as you say, in any case you can give notice by the end of this month and leave at Easter. If you are teaching a shortage subject and can move anywhere a job comes up, there is less of a risk, but jobs are hard enough to come by in ordinary circumstances so think carefully before disadvantaging yourself.

8. Hi,
    I think deep down in my heart I know I am stuck - unfortunately I teach a subject which Mr Gove is abanding for now so even more stuck!
    It is really awful and I hate it with a vengeance - I am on half term now and stressing because I have to go back - that shouldn't be happening.
    Nothing short of a miracle - and they don't happen in my life, is going to help me now... [​IMG]

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

There must have been a report written back in November which would have indicated you were either on track to meet the standards or not. If it said "on track", then you're "on track"..

There will be kids at the school who feel just the same. Do what they're doing and list out every lesson you're in until the end of term.. 350 at most, perhaps? You've already survived more than that!

What "other jobs?", ones not in teaching? You've already said you think employment in your subject will get worse - how many vacancies are there in your subject being advertised on TES right now?

And you'll be in competition with this year's batch of trainees too..

10. GloriaSunshine

I think the OP has only been in post a few weeks. I seem to remember her posting in the first week of term saying she'd only been there a couple of days and wanted to leave.

That's a good point. I was assuming she wants to stay in teaching, but maybe not. I suppose it's not such a big deal to leave after just a term if you've decided not to teach again.

I wonder what is so bad if you don't have the pressure of exam classes? Is it just bad behaviour?

11. Hi,

I do not want to leave teaching.

behaviour is an issue but thanks to everyones support on here I am following the excellent advice given in an effort to improve it.

The other issues I really dare not post publicly, but it is through no fault of my own.

Thanks
    Jaime

12. GloriaSunshine

It's hard to advise if you don't want to say what the problem is! That's sensible, though, on a public forum. Perhaps you could talk to the teacher support helpline?